Man go camping, man need beer!

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
JabbA

Man go camping, man need beer!

Post by JabbA » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:22 pm

With the better weather on the horizon the missus is coming out of hibernation and we’re off camping for the first time this year at Easter.

Now as I see I have three options for taking some kegged beer on such travels: vacuum ‘growlers’(horrible term!), mini growler kegs , or go the whole hog and get a 9litre corny :D The trouble is it all gets a bit expensive with the taps, gas regulators and so on…

I’m leaning towards a couple of 2litre vacuum growlers and not bothering with a gas set-up, just use them like bottles. But then a 9 litre corny, kept cool, with a party tap and Sodastream bottle & regulator would be really cool…

What do you do in the way of mobile beer service???

Cheers,
Jamie

aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Man go camping, man need beer!

Post by aamcle » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:44 pm

2, 3, 4 (as required) two litre pop bottles are cheap, easy and disposable.

Carbinator caps work or if your an out and out rebel make one of these :-

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/74451 ... try1062270
or
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=24678

aamcle

JabbA

Post by JabbA » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:51 pm

As it happens I've recently got a carbonation cap for flushing through my kegorator lines with a garden sprayer!

The thing is we're going away with friends at Easter, pulling out a couple of re-used pop bottles wasn't the kinda look I was aiming at in front of company :D

Cheers,
Jamie

windrider
Piss Artist

Post by windrider » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:52 pm

JabbA wrote:or go the whole hog and get a 9litre corny :D The trouble is it all gets a bit expensive with the taps, gas regulators and so on…
So worth it though :D I've invested in a neoprene 'keg' jacket now for the summer :twisted:

I fill growlers from the keg too, they work just as well but the downside you have to drink the whole lot in one sitting really.
Attachments
C0ynTV8WgAAgpxG.jpg large.jpeg

JabbA

Post by JabbA » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:02 pm

Now that's more like it! How is it on the disposable CO2 cartridges? The Malt Miller sites suggests not quite a full keg from a 16g one.

Cheers,
Jamie

windrider
Piss Artist

Post by windrider » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:22 pm

JabbA wrote:Now that's more like it! How is it on the disposable CO2 cartridges? The Malt Miller sites suggests not quite a full keg from a 16g one.

Cheers,
Jamie
Yeah that’s about right. I used x1 cartridge on NYE and it dispensed the whole keg (about 7-8 litres). You can pick the cartridges up pretty cheap on eBay, they are the same sort bikers use.

I ditched the chrome tap and use a picnic tap with a length of beer line to reduce foaming. It goes down a right storm at parties =D>

JabbA

Post by JabbA » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:30 pm

That doesn't sound too bad. Yeah, I've got a box of the 16g cartridges for my road bike, and a party tap already. So just a keg and the gas regulator...

I'm fed up of taking a full size corny and a big gas bottle to parties, NYE a couple of years ago I took a beer engine too!

Cheers,
Jamie

Dennis King
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Dennis King » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:47 pm

Camping, in England, at Easter :-k brave man.

JabbA

Post by JabbA » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:00 pm

Haha! Actually, a few years ago we had just about the best weather all year at Easter, in Langdale! 'twas too hot to bother walking to the crag to climb!

Cheers,
Jamie

aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by aamcle » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:02 pm

Mod up one of the counter-pressure fillers and use 5 litre mini kegs, if your after some they often come with free beer!

You can "slow force carb" in mini kegs so If you have time and a brew to hand that may be an option, I've done it using a car tire valve. a tire infiltrator and a pressure gauge.
If I were going to do any more I'd set up some thing a bit less ghetto, I bottle nearly all my brews now except for the odd one that gets split between bottles and a 10 litre plastic barrel.

According to what I have been able to discover mini kegs are capable of going up to 20 psi and as lager is often sold in them I think that must be correct.

Not as shiny as SS kegs but much more cost effective!

aamcle

AdrianTrace
Piss Artist

Post by AdrianTrace » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:33 pm

Why only a 9Ltr Cornie? :twisted:
Ready to go: Malt extract, grain, yeast and a freezer full of hops.
Fermenting: Nowt.
Conditioning: Nelson's Revenge.
Drinking: Stop Wining, Firsty Gold, DarkMun, Yankee, Porter, ApAht, Cider, Mead, Tripel, Elderflower beer, Gluten Free, beer, wine, port, gin,beer, wine, port, gin...

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:11 am

Big fan of camping at all times of the year, but I always just go and buy some tinnies instead of taking homebrew :D Not helpful I know :) Mainly a hipflask is best though for some water of life

TheSumOfAllBeers
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:19 pm

If you get the brew builder mini kegs , get the party tap and the better regulator. The basic one is a bit shit TBH and you are going to have crazy foaming issues with it. The kegs themselves are great, and small enough that a bucket of ice is sufficient to cool them

Crastney
Steady Drinker

Post by Crastney » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:08 pm

If you like camping and home brew beer - have you signed up for this years Home Brew Festival yet?

JabbA

Post by JabbA » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:25 pm

Crastney wrote:If you like camping and home brew beer - have you signed up for this years Home Brew Festival yet?
No I haven't. To be honest, what I've seen from previous Spring Things (and I don't want to come across a dick) it all looks a bit 'low rent'. Having just been on the website it looks a lot more appalling! Alas, it's the wife's birthday that weekend and don't think it'll go down too well, maybe next year!

Cheers,
Jamie