Cheap Internet temperature logger

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Re: Cheap Internet temperature logger

Post by Andy » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:10 am

MonsieurBadgerCheese wrote:Hi,

Been reading this thread with interest. Does anyone have an 'idiots guide'? Biggest question - do any of these wi-fi things receive a signal from within a fermentation-fridge?

MBC :)

I have had one of the ESP8266 units connect to my Wifi from within a fermenting fridge but the fridge would need to be in a location which had a strong Wifi signal.

But with the BrewPiLess system, the module which is running the software and also communicates with Wifi is external to the fridge. Temperature probes within the fridge connect to the BrewPiLess via wires.

I'm not sure what you were getting at ?
Dan!

MonsieurBadgerCheese
Steady Drinker

Post by MonsieurBadgerCheese » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:02 am

Andy wrote:
MonsieurBadgerCheese wrote:Hi,

Been reading this thread with interest. Does anyone have an 'idiots guide'? Biggest question - do any of these wi-fi things receive a signal from within a fermentation-fridge?

I have had one of the ESP8266 units connect to my Wifi from within a fermenting fridge but the fridge would need to be in a location which had a strong Wifi signal.

But with the BrewPiLess system, the module which is running the software and also communicates with Wifi is external to the fridge. Temperature probes within the fridge connect to the BrewPiLess via wires.

I'm not sure what you were getting at ?
Ah, ok. Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I misunderstood. That answers my question though. Thanks.

Andy

Post by Andy » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:38 am

A question for anyone running BrewPiLess. If you set it in Beer Profile mode and then after a minute or so power the module off/on, what mode does the s/w enter (after the Wifi has reconnected) ?

I'd expect it to resume in Beer Profile mode but it doesn't seem to do that and goes to Off mode. Which ain't great if you're looking for this to control fermentation pretty much unattended.

I am running the s/w on a bare-bones module though with no sensors etc connected/configured but I wouldn't have thought that should make too much difference.

I've raised this as a question on Vito's git repo page but was wondering what other users' experience was.
Dan!

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:23 pm

Andy, same setup as me ATM. My initial tests were that it went to OFF after a restart but when I re-tested it and left it running in Beer Profile mode for a few minutes it resumed Beer Profile mode when the power was pulled and re-started. I too was thinking the same initially as to re-start in OFF mode would be problematic.

roscoe

Post by roscoe » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:47 am

code is all there on github,
just change to suit whatever, you want then OTA update . . .

EDIT . . .
there is issue on this if anyone wished to pitch in as its supposed to save its state in EPROM and restart

https://github.com/vitotai/BrewPiLess/issues/7

Andy

Post by Andy » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:43 am

I've pitched in already, that's my issue :)
Dan!

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:13 pm

fwiw i watched a Utube by the chap with the swedish accent last night, and he mentioned that its now official the esp8266 IS 5V TOLERANT!

this is mentioned as an aside during vid #2 of a sonoff SC hack .. ##111 113 or ??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD26mtwcaGY

if not in the next or previous.. its there,, so you can shelve all the LLC chips and wire upto 5v directly with a clear consience
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Andy

Post by Andy » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:37 pm

Good news!

I'm going to use a Wemos D1 mini with a wemos battery shield + a small Lipo battery to act as a UPS in the event of a short power outage. The 1000maH battery should be able to power the setup for a day (if the LCD backlight remains off).
Dan!

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:13 pm

I've currently got my Wemos D1 Mini hooked up to a Pi Zero W running the full BrewPi software. I really don't know which setup to go for now. Got a small OLED on order too, the 20x4 LCD was a bit big for my compact plan.

Andy

Post by Andy » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:16 pm

I did have an OLED hooked up but the text is tiny.
Dan!

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:00 pm

It's kinda hard to gauge the size of the OLED from the pictures. I thought the LCD would be smaller! Lol

Do you have to get up really close to read the OLED?

Andy

Post by Andy » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:11 pm

alexlark wrote:It's kinda hard to gauge the size of the OLED from the pictures. I thought the LCD would be smaller! Lol

Do you have to get up really close to read the OLED?

I need to put my specs on to read the oled. The LCD is much better. Depends upon the physical size of the display, what size OLED have you ordered ? Not the pixel count but the actual dimensions ? My display was 0.96" which is pretty much useless,
Dan!

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:19 pm

Yea same one, 0.96". If it's cr@p I might end up going without a screen. The LCD is a pretty good size but the PCB overhangs a lot and means I would need a bigger enclosure. I'm looking for a screen to fit the side of an enclosure rather than the top cover.

Andy

Post by Andy » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:39 am

Ok, depends on how good your eyesight is then :)
Dan!

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:36 am

Fil wrote:fwiw i watched a Utube by the chap with the swedish accent last night, and he mentioned that its now official the esp8266 IS 5V TOLERANT!

this is mentioned as an aside during vid #2 of a sonoff SC hack .. ##111 113 or ??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD26mtwcaGY

if not in the next or previous.. its there,, so you can shelve all the LLC chips and wire upto 5v directly with a clear consience
4 mins in to that link :wink: