Fuller's Burton 1935

Had a good one? Tell us about it here - and don't forget - we like pictures!
Fuggled Mind
Hollow Legs

Fuller's Burton 1935

Post by Fuggled Mind » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:04 am

Tried Fuller's Past Masters OBE a while ago and really enjoyed it. It's not a taste you normally get with modern beers. A lot of the flavour comes from corn and sugar. I always wanted to have a go at brewing one of these and opted for a slightly weaker one from Ron Pattinson's book Peace. There is also a recipe for the stronger OBE which is also in the Homebrewers Guide to Vintage Beer. There are lots more of Ron's Fuller's Burton recipes which can be found on the unholymess website.

So the recipe (for 19L)
Start Gravity 1.058
Final Gravity 1.011

3.9Kg Pale Ale (Best Malz)
740g flaked maize
120g glucose
80g invert no 3 (homemade)
50g molasses
10g brewer's caramel (E150)

63g Cluster (6.29AA boiled 90 mins)
28g EKG (3.2AA boiled 30 mins)
3g Irish moss
1 pack of Windsor yeast

Hope this turns out well. The smell from the mash tun prior to sparging was corny - not the usual malty goodness you usually get. However, the clarity during sparging is amazing.
Attachments
Camera pics Jun 2017 2073.jpg
Old school sparging over tinfoil
Camera pics Jun 2017 2072.jpg
Homemade invert no 3. I made the mistake of letting it set solid. I had to break it into chunks and warm it up in a pan.
Camera pics Jun 2017 2070.jpg
Good clarity with the sparging
Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.
W. C. Fields

mozza
Under the Table

Re: Fuller's Burton 1935

Post by mozza » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:27 pm

Looks like a great recipe, I've never tried making invert sugar myself. Is it fairly straightforward?
Cheers and gone,

Mozza

Fuggled Mind
Hollow Legs

Post by Fuggled Mind » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:52 pm

Thanks

Regarding the invert, it was a bit of a faff in the beginning but it worked out quite well. I watched a lot of videos on youtube to begin with (some showing how to make homemade golden syrup and others for invert as used in catering - they all helped). The worst part is the beginning as it foams like mad. Eventually, you can just leave the sugar in the pan with a thermometer on a low heat for as long as you need it (a bloody long time). The only mistake I made was not to dilute the invert because it set into a solid block. I'll definitely make it again but would love it if it became available in tins, jar or whatever. But in short, anyone can do it.

With the beer - when sparging, it was no different to any blonde beer but once I added all the sugar additions to the boil, it was an orange brown. I'm curious to see how it turns out after fermentation. If all goes well, I'll brew another - but this one http://barclayperkins.blogspot.ch/2015/ ... rs-bo.html.

I changed the yeast choice. Went with 2 packs of Nottingham. Not as flavourful as Windsor but I think it'll be fine.

I'll try and post pics when it's finished

Cheers

Jason
Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.
W. C. Fields

tourer
Hollow Legs
Location: spitting distance of the Beacon hotel, home of Ruby red

Post by tourer » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:29 pm

Does anyone else have a problem with Barkley perkins site? When i go on i can't use the up down keys or the mouse? it just wont move on.

Fuggled Mind
Hollow Legs

Post by Fuggled Mind » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:31 pm

tourer wrote:Does anyone else have a problem with Barkley perkins site? When i go on i can't use the up down keys or the mouse? it just wont move on.
It seems to be working fine for me but unholymess.com was working very,very slowly.

Took my first sample from the FV yesterday. Has been in the cellar at 18°C for a week.
Hit the target OG of 1.056 (after adding water back) but should have had an FG 0f 1.014. I've got 1.010. If it drops no further (and I guess it won't), then it'll be a beer with an ABV of 6% - not exactly summer drinking but I think it'll need time to mature. I'll be bottling this one (like all by beers) - probably around the beginning of July.

The orginal colour of the beer in the sample taken direct from the boiler was browny-orange. Imagine mixing coca-cola and orange juice :D
It was a golden-orange in the sample from the FV. Can only assume that the boiler sample was full of hop debris. I was always under the impression that beer darkened during fermentation.
I followed the original recipe as best as I could, even adding caramel to the boiler but instead of the the dark brown that this beer would have been in its day, it'll probably be orange.

Flavourwise, it was quite a clean tasting beer but it was followed by a pretty strong herbal hoppy kick. I look forward to seeing how this beer turns out after bottling.

One final thing - I have a pack of unopened Progress hops. Can these be used for dry hopping?

Cheers

Jason
W. C. Fields

oz11
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by oz11 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:28 am

tourer wrote:Does anyone else have a problem with Barkley perkins site? When i go on i can't use the up down keys or the mouse? it just wont move on.
A few years ago I couldn't get it to work with whatever then was the current version of Internet explorer. I switched to Firefox which works okay, but there's a lot of links and clutter which makes it quite slow to load on my old laptop.

rui
Piss Artist

Post by rui » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:28 am

how this ended up??? any picture?

cheers
Planning: Raspberry Witbier, , Bitter, Porter
FV1: BIAB#54 CHRISTMAS Porter
FV2:
FV3:
keg1: BIAB#49 Kölsh
keg2: Robust Porter
Keg3: Saison
Keg4: Best Bitter
bottled and conditioning: Extra-stout, Blonde ale, APA and Smoked Porter

gaunt_paul
Steady Drinker

Post by gaunt_paul » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:34 pm

I'm also keen to hear news on this. I recently brewed a beer inspired by this, an amalgamation of two slightly different Fullers OBE recipes (one from Ron's book, one from his website) and am hoping it'll be in good nick by wintertime. It's been in primary for just over a fortnight, so will be racking or bottling it at the weekend I think.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk