Regulator Hose Washer

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
schlafsack

Regulator Hose Washer

Post by schlafsack » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:51 am

We've got a sparkling water tap at work and we've been going through CO2 way faster than I'd expect. Having looked at the hose from the regulator, there is no washer in the cylinder connector, or rather there is but it's a captive seal washer. It's not like the regulator I have at home. Does this type of connector require an additional rubber washer?

Donald
Steady Drinker

Re: Regulator Hose Washer

Post by Donald » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:00 am

I found the best thing for the gas reg was 1/2 inch tap washers that i trimmed down a few mm to fit.

They are really thick and robust so once made into a snug fit worked perfectly for my set up.

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Re: Regulator Hose Washer

Post by Kev888 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:26 am

That looks like a "bonded seal" washer. They work alone, no extra seal needed, and aren't considered disposable (some of the plain soft washers technically should be changed each use, though we tend not to).

That said, they can still be damaged or wear out and so may need replacing eventually. I can't quite work out if that is a split in the seal at the top (bottom picture). Also, the seal/rubber-bit is around their centre, so if the cylinder has a sloppier fit or more countersunk recess they may not seal as well as a plain soft washer.
Kev