Corny keg gas.

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
rcammish
Tippler

Corny keg gas.

Post by rcammish » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:19 pm

Hi everyone.
I'm about to make the jump into kegging.
Being in these North East, I have been quoted £80 for a full 6.3kg tank. £20 to refill. The cannister would be mine. I was told it would be cheaper to buy than rent.
As the NE is a bit sparse for suppliers, is this a decent deal?
The place is Comertons, North of the Tyne which gets a few mentions on here as reliable.
Thanks.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

blawford

Re: Corny keg gas.

Post by blawford » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:56 pm

Down South I got mine for £23 Inc VAT, no rental. Thought t'was cheaper up North?

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:57 pm

fwiw thats not too bad a deal with a coupe of cornies a 6+kg bottle should last a year or two assuming you dont drop a bottle overnight due to a leak ;) if that will help you judge costs. tho rentals are usually a very bad deal for home brewers as we just dont use that much co2. buying the bottle however is a bit of a pita, it will mean you wll have to pay for regular tests and safety certs, where if you simply pay a bottle deposit with a supplier like liquide air generally upto £50, tho not all agents charge a deposit, you simply exchange the bottle when needed iirc my last exchange was £22.. And on return of the bottle without an exchange you should get the deposit back in full (keep the recieplt if this is likely)
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:51 pm

blawford wrote:Down South I got mine for £23 Inc VAT, no rental. Thought t'was cheaper up North?

I think you got done,,, liquid air (c02) is/can be had cheaper @ £18.50 6-odd kg, and no deposits, but like the op says where to get a good deal, when you have no idea who sells it..
Ps it's gp Barnes a yacht/boating place that sells it in shoreham, who'do thought a yacht/boat spares selling Co2

But I guess that's why he's asking.

Cheers
WD
To Busy To Add,

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:53 pm

So it maybe worth looking/asking liquid air, web page if anyone is close to you :wink:
To Busy To Add,

rcammish
Tippler

Post by rcammish » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:16 am

Great advice lads. I will check them out today. I guess it really is just s lottery depending on where you you live.
The other option i have is a modified keg with soda stream bottle. These are readily available on eBay. Very easy to get a refill at places like argos. I realise the gas is more expensive but it certainly seems a lot less hassle.
I'm not bothered about forced carbonation. Any idea of how long a soda stream bottle would last serving regular pale ales?

simon12
Hollow Legs

Post by simon12 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:48 am

Ask in pubs they get them delivered regularly, my local got me one, its a while ago so can't remember how much.

rcammish
Tippler

Post by rcammish » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:57 pm

Air liquid.. No dice where i live. I'm leaning towards the soda stream corny keg. As it dispenses between 5 to 8 kegs of beer (for 12 quid )that isn't too bad for a fairly light user and much less hassle /equipment for my purpose. One thing i don't understand is do you secondary ferment in a keg with sugar or simply add beer after primary fermentation and seal? Do you also let it condition for a few weeks before dispensing? Simple questions i bet for most on here but genuinely confusing for me... Sorry if this has already been asked.

Jambo
Hollow Legs

Post by Jambo » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:29 pm

Just keg it after fermentation (and cold crashing/fining if you like). Then pressure up to seal, and most people like to purge any oxygen via the safety valve on the lid. Pressure up to the appropriate pressure for the carbonation you want taking temperature into consideration (charts on here somewhere), and then leave to condition for a bit. In my experience after 5 days you can have reasonable carbonation but a fortnight is much better.

Some people like to do a secondary fermentation in the corny, but for me this defeats much of the point of moving to kegs - each to their own I suppose.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:06 pm

co2 isnt used only for serving, it also makes cleaning and sanitation easier allowing you to push the liquids through kegs accessing all surfaces..

And once you have a regulated supply it comes in handy for all sorts from blowing a cleaning line through a hex coil to flushing FV's prior to 2ndary transfer, not forgetting conditioning beer in pet bottles with a carbonation cap etc....

google tells me sodastream co2 comes in 60litre canisters that are exchanged @ circa £12 per pop? + deposit
btw 60l of c02 = 0.06m3 @21c https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=mass+ ... =60l+in+m3
according to http://www.airproducts.com/products/Gas ... oxide.aspx
1kg of co2 @21c = 0.5458 m3
so to get 6.5kg of co2 in sodastream canisters you will need (say 9 per kilo) 9x 6.5 = 58.5 @ £12 per canister exchange thats £702.00 + £10 deposit

SO its not too bad a deal buying the bottle for £80, just make sure the certification isnt due for a good few years ;)
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

rcammish
Tippler

Post by rcammish » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:56 pm

I might of found a cheaper deal for the 6kg cannister. Ill update on weekend if it's a goer.
Looking to purchase the malt Miller full used keg kit.
https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/index.p ... uctId=2964
I assume this is a good deal?
Thanks.

blawford

Post by blawford » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:35 pm

rcammish wrote:I might of found a cheaper deal for the 6kg cannister. Ill update on weekend if it's a goer.
Looking to purchase the malt Miller full used keg kit.
https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/index.p ... uctId=2964
I assume this is a good deal?
Thanks.

Bit pricey in my opinion. Used kegs are £42 here http://www.thehomebrewcompany.co.uk/a-f ... -3709.html

rcammish
Tippler

Post by rcammish » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:01 pm

I'm new to the whole kegging world so I'd rather have the full kit instead of guessing what i need and buying in dribs and drabs. Don't mind paying a little extra for simplicity. For a full kit it still seems reasonable.

rcammish
Tippler

Post by rcammish » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:20 am

I will keep that link though as I've heard the one keg is never enough.....

blawford

Post by blawford » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:28 am

rcammish wrote:I'm new to the whole kegging world so I'd rather have the full kit instead of guessing what i need and buying in dribs and drabs. Don't mind paying a little extra for simplicity. For a full kit it still seems reasonable.

Shouldn't need to guess, there are links to everything you need in the description of the link I sent.

Depends what you want, the one you linked comes with a party tap, whereas you might want something a bit fancier or permanent? What have you got planned in terms of setup?