AG #001 (again)

Had a good one? Tell us about it here - and don't forget - we like pictures!
FutureBrewer
Piss Artist

AG #001 (again)

Post by FutureBrewer » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:58 pm

Hi all,

Long time no see... in fact, I'm ashamed to say I haven't attempted to brew anything since October 2013!

Where does the time go? In a nutshell: leaving a 9-5 to go freelance (again), giving my brewing kit to my brother, a stint in that-there-London, giving up the freelance life for a 9-5, buying a house, retrieving my kit (unused) from my brother. And spending a lot of time thinking about brewing.

So, this happened:

Looking back over my notes and posts here, it's obvious (with 20-20 hindsight) that I was trying to run before I could walk. Yeast starters; brewing fridges; water treatment... note to my past-self: keep it simple!

So, back to basics. I'm treating this as my first AG brew, a simple recipe with no frills: Bathams Best Bitter from Wheeler's BYO.

There's a filter on the cold water tap, so I used that. I didn't faff about with analysing or 'owt :lol:

Muscle memory got me as far as doughing in, but I totally cocked up the strike temperature - should've been been 66C, but ended up with 69C. I threw in some cold filtered water and brought it down to 67ish... Close enough.

I thought it looked a bit watery, but tucked it up for 90 mins. Plenty of time to realise my mistake - I'd added both the mash and 1st batch sparge water! Damn...

Ah well - I thought I'd just treat it as a no-sparge brew, collect the runnings and top up in the boiler. Er... yeah, should've thought about that a bit more. At the end of the boil, a pitiful 1030 - missed target by 14 points :lol:

I rehydrated some S-04, aerated the wort, pitched and put in a warmish area of the kitchen. No brewing cupboards/fridges, no temp control...

Tell you what though - I made beer, and I feel like a GOD!

It's great to be back 8)

Cheers,
FB.
Me Man. Me Make Beer.

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Re: AG #001 (again)

Post by chefgage » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:08 am

At least theres beer in the fermenter :) You will still have something nice to drink.

I find that happens with me. If i dont brew for a while i forget things or make mistakes. I find making lots of notes during the brew day such as do this before this, remember to do this etc.. helps on the next brew day (as long as i remember to read my notes before hand though :) )

cerbera84
Piss Artist

Post by cerbera84 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:19 pm

FutureBrewer wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:58 pm
Ah well - I thought I'd just treat it as a no-sparge brew, collect the runnings and top up in the boiler. Er... yeah, should've thought about that a bit more. At the end of the boil, a pitiful 1030 - missed target by 14 points :lol:
did exactly the same the other day - you'll definitely remember for next time!
Planning: BrewEasy system build; possibly a Wychwood Hobgoblin Gold clone
Fermenting: Simcoe SMASH
Drinking: Cascade Centennial Pale

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:52 pm

FutureBrewer wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:58 pm
Tell you what though - I made beer, and I feel like a GOD!
So you bloody well should. =D>
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Brewedout
Piss Artist

Post by Brewedout » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:56 pm

Ha ha I just posted my mistakes after a break from brewing too. I love wheelers Bathams recipe. Great brewery too!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk