BIAB Pilsner Recipe

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

BIAB Pilsner Recipe

Post by Meatymc » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:54 pm

I'm not a lager drinker but the powers that be are asking me to brew something they might like rather than the highly hopped IPA's I'm after. I don't want to tie-up my brew fridge however - knowing these brews take longer than ale, so am looking for recommendations that can be brewed in a cool/cold garage but not with specific temperature control - I'm thinking wet towels etc when temperatures are forecasted to rise beyond a certain point.

I guess the yeast is the most important factor followed by the hops - I have my home grown Northdown, First Gold and some Fuggles and Cascade but guess none of these are suitable except, perhaps, for bittering.

Posted in the recipe section as well.

Any suggestions?

Secla
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: BIAB Pilsner Recipe

Post by Secla » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:28 am

problem with no temp control is the yeast will make off flavours which are really noticable in a pilsner. Ive made a couple and its quite hard to do as any small off flavour in a beer with such a neutral profile stands out like a sore thumb.

some american lager yeasts ferment as low as 8 degrees but doing it in the garage your temps will still fluctuate which isnt ideal

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:12 pm

Well I've just been told we have to store an unwanted fridge/freezer for the mother-in-law having moved her into a new flat with on-site care facilities with one already there. Now I wonder what I could do with that!!!

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:39 am

A while ago I brewed a "pilsner" using Wyeast's Pacman yeast at 72f that turned out pretty good and got a decent score as a German pilsner in a competition.
I'm just here for the beer.

TheSumOfAllBeers
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:09 pm

You could use a kolsch yeast and take it to the cold end of the spectrum. If it gets too warm it will just throw out some kolsch style flavours rather than wired shit

steviebobs83
Piss Artist

Post by steviebobs83 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:17 pm

Why not use a California common yeast and leave it indoors at ale temps?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk