Brew day from hell!!!

Had a good one? Tell us about it here - and don't forget - we like pictures!
Meirion658

Brew day from hell!!!

Post by Meirion658 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:38 pm

All was going well planned and filled the GF last night for an early morning session. 6.30am the timer kicks in and the water is all ready for my Belgian Witt.

The brew went well and the smell from the orange and coriander was fantastic. Time to transfer into brewmaster.

As I was transferring I thought I would multitask and start cleaning the hop spider with the hit water from the wort chiller.

There I am washing away and and as I look over I see a pool of wort all over the floor under the American fridge freezer it was all over the place. School boy error of leaving the tap open!!!!

I lost about 5 litres in total. Absolutely gutted.....

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Re: Brew day from hell!!!

Post by chefgage » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:52 pm

Dont worry too much. I think at some point all of us have left a tap open or hose not connected. Mine was the IC chiller hose from the mains water that disconnected itself whilst I was outside adjusting the flow from the tap. I looked through the kitchen window and saw water squirting up to the ceiling. I said this before but the ceiling did need cleaning :mrgreen:

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:00 pm

I'd guess this has happened to a lot of us over the years, it helps to build up a useful level of paranoia :)

But (unless it was a 5L batch) you will have 'some' beer to show for your efforts so you're still ahead. As Hellish brew-days go, it could have been much worse - no blue flashing lights involved!
Kev

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:30 pm

i think its a rite of passage for every brewer to start filling a vessel with valuable beer or pre beer liquor with a tap open.. I know ive done it..

thank goodness you caught it before you lost the lot.. and be greatful it wasnt hot liquor that spat out of the tap at groin level while you were stood in front of it, as that has happened to at least one brewer!!
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

brewpete
Piss Artist

Post by brewpete » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:23 pm

as beastie boy lirics go as long as i learn i make mistakes

FUBAR
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by FUBAR » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:09 am

Like most,I've been there,done it and got the T shirt.Seems to be the norm in brewing,everything going smoothly and to plan,you then take your eye off the ball and let your guard down and it starts to go tits up.Your brew day was far from hell in the scheme of things,although 5 litres of any liquid goes a long,long way in the mess stakes,made even more painful that its wort, but the consolation is the remaining majority of wort will become Beer.
I buy my grain & hops from here http://www.homebrewkent.co.uk/

I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me - Winston Churchill

charlie
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by charlie » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:53 pm

I've done it.
I wouldn't have lost as much beer if I hadn't been multitasking.
I've only done it once though.
Brewing in the badlands between Arnside and Milnthorpe.
Cumbria

StrontiumDog
Piss Artist

Post by StrontiumDog » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:40 pm

Meirion658 wrote:All was going well planned and filled the GF last night for an early morning session. 6.30am the timer kicks in and the water is all ready for my Belgian Witt.

The brew went well and the smell from the orange and coriander was fantastic. Time to transfer into brewmaster.

As I was transferring I thought I would multitask and start cleaning the hop spider with the hit water from the wort chiller.

There I am washing away and and as I look over I see a pool of wort all over the floor under the American fridge freezer it was all over the place. School boy error of leaving the tap open!!!!

I lost about 5 litres in total. Absolutely gutted.....
Did that on my first ever AG batch, completely forgot to turn off the tap to the BK during my sparge, I was livid and there was a lot of swearing. Wife pi$$ed herself laughing, always good to have additional support...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:02 am

charlie wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:53 pm
Agh the myth of multi tasking. This is doing more than one thing at a time, agreed? But, as you add a task it increases how badly you do all them. You might not want to mention this to the "opposition". :lol:

FWIW my "favourite" is allowing the HLT to run dry with the element glowing red with frustration at having no water to heat, cue lights dimming and going out with a bemused brewer stumbling around in the dark wondering what has just happened. #-o :roll:
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

charlie
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by charlie » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:07 pm

orlando wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:02 am
charlie wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:53 pm
Agh the myth of multi tasking. This is doing more than one thing at a time, agreed? But, as you add a task it increases how badly you do all them. You might not want to mention this to the "opposition". :lol:

FWIW my "favourite" is allowing the HLT to run dry with the element glowing red with frustration at having no water to heat, cue lights dimming and going out with a bemused brewer stumbling around in the dark wondering what has just happened. #-o :roll:
I cold sparge these days.
For the last two brews sparging has been endless though.
Does anybody else suffer a stuck sparge with a grainfather?
Cumbria

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:24 pm

I wouldnt say a stuck sparge, but it certainly is slow.

charlie
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by charlie » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:31 pm

chefgage wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:24 pm
I wouldnt say a stuck sparge, but it certainly is slow.
Perhaps I should be putting in the larger, less floury things in first.
Cumbria

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:51 pm

Brew day from Hell when I can`t find the Tin Opener! #-o

WA

Sent from my Sofa whilst supping an Earl Grey Stout! :D

Crastney
Steady Drinker

Post by Crastney » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:03 pm

I make Kombucha in a gallon DJ type container with a tap at the bottom. same kind of thing, stood happily pouring warm tea in at the top, which for a while was below the tap level, then wondering why there's brown liquid cascading down the front of the kitchen units. I'd obviously left the tap open. luckily, with that though, you just make more tea.

robbarwell
Hollow Legs

Post by robbarwell » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:37 pm

done that...awful feeling. Mine was final transfer, 65 litres into fermenter in garage, knocked the valve whilst cleaning up and hadn't noticed...drip drip drip..
next day opened garage door, empty fermenter and flooded garage.

Also in early days brewing...25 litre kit...fermented through and moving fermenting bucket to kitchen to start bottling, handle gave way and 25 litres of sticky beer onto kitchen floor just as wife arrived home from work...picture but no sound in relationship for a good few days