SS Brewmaster bucket

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Meirion658

SS Brewmaster bucket

Post by Meirion658 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:42 pm

Hi there just bought a brewmaster bucket.
It says to clean with Tri-Sodium Phosphate I can't get hold of that what else would you guys use?

Secondly passivation. Did you fill the whole bucket up with water and the required amount of star san or just swirl it around inside as there would be a lot wasted star san as it gets expensive using 7ouces to clean!!!!

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Re: SS Brewmaster bucket

Post by orlando » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:57 pm

Get hold of some Bar Keeper's Friend make a paste, apply, then buff off with a clean cloth then leave in open air, no lid.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Secla
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Secla » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:28 pm

Can order tsp from Amazon and I think brewuk now stock it

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Post by guypettigrew » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:41 pm

orlando wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:57 pm
Get hold of some Bar Keeper's Friend make a paste, apply, then buff off with a clean cloth then leave in open air, no lid.
Here's an extract from the cleaning instructions on the SS Brewtech site. It seems Bar Keeper's friend is not entirely a good thing. Apply with caution!

"NEVER USE

Oxalic Acid cleaners such as Bar Keeper’s Friend, Kleen King, or Revere Ware Stainless cleaners on the Etched Markings –
These may cause the etching to fade."

Guy

Tomp
Steady Drinker

Post by Tomp » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:30 am

I have a chronical, so same material. I clean with Wilkos Oxyclean and then sparky with starsan before use. Seems to work.

As for passivisation, its my understanding you only need to do it occasionally.
It started with kits to save money and now look........!!!

Lots of kit, too many ingredients and not enough time, but a patient wife.... who loves my beer...........

Could be worse :-)

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:31 am

Iv'e said this before but I have never had the need, nor is it advised, to passivate my BM in the eight years that I have been using it. The likely hood of rust marks appearing on a Brewbucket is more likely due to the cheap Chinese stainless that is used in it's construction. And yes I own one but it my opinion it is a load of crap. Better off using a plastic bucket that is twenty times cheaper.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

naturals

Post by naturals » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:27 am

guypettigrew wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:41 pm
orlando wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:57 pm
Here's an extract from the cleaning instructions on the SS Brewtech site. It seems Bar Keeper's friend is not entirely a good thing. Apply with caution!

"NEVER USE

Oxalic Acid cleaners such as Bar Keeper’s Friend, Kleen King, or Revere Ware Stainless cleaners on the Etched Markings –
These may cause the etching to fade."

Guy
I used it on mine last week. It worked fine. The etchings did fade ever so slightly, but they had some majorly caked on dirt and required a fair bit of scrubbing. For a quick wipe over to passivate it'll be absolutely fine.

Secla

Post by Secla » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:00 pm

The tsp clean us to remove any oil residue from production. After that you can use pbw/oxi etc.

Carnot
Piss Artist

Post by Carnot » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:40 pm

TSP is not a must and can be substituted by sodium tripolyphosphate or sodium hexametaphosphate(Calgon). Both will do the same job which is degreasing. You could make a cheaper passivation solution with phosphoric acid and Fairy liquid. Dodecyl benzene sulphonic acid (as the salt) is a surfactant and is widely used in washing up liquid formulations, though is frowned on in some quarters. Most of the Starsan is phosphoric acid so assuming you can obtain something like 85% phosphoric acid (APC eBay) then add about 60ml of acid to 40 ml Fairy liquid. I would rinse several times.

I have 4 Brewbuckets and have found them pretty good, and I would not call then Chinese crap by any means. What is crap is the racking valve which is a diabolical affair. The nut in the bucket has no O ring groove and when the nut is tightened it will squeeze out the O ring. The solution is to use a stainless Dowty washer. Not cheap but these are a flat rubber washer with a stainless outside ring. They solve the problem. You need a 3/8. I have put these on all my Brewbuckets. The other crappy area is the thermometer. I replaced mine with a £5 inside/ outside thermometer from eBay. You can pull out the probe, and place the thermometer where it easy to be read. The batteries last for ever. Last but not least do not pratt about trying to move the racking arm. Just set it at the lowest position. I have never had to move mine and turning the vale body is a joke.

Maldon John
Steady Drinker

Post by Maldon John » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:11 pm

Meirion658 wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:42 pm
Hi there just bought a brewmaster bucket.
It says to clean with Tri-Sodium Phosphate I can't get hold of that what else would you guys use?
There you go

sladeywadey
Hollow Legs

Post by sladeywadey » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:59 pm

Carnot wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:40 pm

I have 4 Brewbuckets and have found them pretty good, and I would not call then Chinese crap by any means. What is crap is the racking valve which is a diabolical affair. The nut in the bucket has no O ring groove and when the nut is tightened it will squeeze out the O ring. The solution is to use a stainless Dowty washer. Not cheap but these are a flat rubber washer with a stainless outside ring. They solve the problem. You need a 3/8. I have put these on all my Brewbuckets.

I don't suppose you have a link to where you bought your washers from do you? I agree the design of the stock racking arm is naff and I've often left the tube out.

Carnot
Piss Artist

Post by Carnot » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:35 pm

Here is the ebay link. The company is Duncan Rogers Engineering and they are fast. You need a 3/8 BSP 316 stainless steel Dowty seal. Choose this from the drop down list

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Imperial-Dowt ... rbQKYKodNQ

If you need o ring for the racking tube they are 9mm x 1 mm and I bought silicone rings from ebay.

Once you have sorted the seal I reckon the Brewbucket is just about as good as it gets for the money. Dead simple to clean and it is easily movable, even when full . I stack them two high.

sladeywadey
Hollow Legs

Post by sladeywadey » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:35 pm

great thanks for the info.

Secla

Post by Secla » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:43 pm

looks like a really good idea, whats the difference betwen nitrile and viton ? ordered somefor my brewbucket and chronical anyway as its the worst part of them for me

sladeywadey
Hollow Legs

Post by sladeywadey » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:20 am

Viton are high temp capable and overkill for our needs here