o rings for beer taps?

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
bottles
Steady Drinker

o rings for beer taps?

Post by bottles » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:42 pm

I'm suffering from evilBay bargains. I bought a set of three beer taps a while ago to increase the beers I can serve. Just got around to fitting beer lines and gas regs etc to try them out.
As these were used taps I thought I'd give them a goods clean and strip them down and soak in some wvp.
Some of the o rings looked a bit worn and old. Putting the taps back together they seemed a bit stiff.
Well today was the inaugural test of everything. One tap works fine though doesn't shut off as well as I'd like.
The other two leak through the body when pouring. If I remove the sparkler this reduces.
Attachments
20171118_193247.jpg

bottles
Steady Drinker

Re: o rings for beer taps?

Post by bottles » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:58 pm

I have also got some secondary regulators with one missing the threaded screw to control the gas pressure. Anyone know what type of thread this is? Looks like 1/4" bsc?
also a couple don't have pressure gages. Are these hard to fit? How necessary are they?
I'm inclined to fit them as I have issues of overcarbing my kegs. Either through not paying attention or some secindary fermentation. Never had this issue until going all grain.
Andrew
Attachments
20171118_193316.jpg

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Re: o rings for beer taps?

Post by Fil » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:59 am

use a micrometer or caliper to measure the old o-rings the best you can to find replacements ebay is probably a good a place to buy as any..

if in doubt under estimate inside diameter ..

adding a pressure guage is straight forward enough again ebay will supply them, it will probably be 3/8"bsp or 1/4" bsp parallel threads employed.

PTFE or gas tape to help seal is a good idea, and be prepared for some F*** O** thread sealer on the blanking plug fitted i needed a 4ft length of scaffold tube as a lever to budge the thread on a gas in hose i needed to replace on my reg ..

No idea about the setting screw thread? pop along to a diy shop and test a screw in the nuts available to size perhaps, you can buy little bits of steel/metal ground to thread profiles for identifying threads?
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(