Its Brewday!!! (Oatmeal Stout)

Had a good one? Tell us about it here - and don't forget - we like pictures!
chefgage
Hollow Legs

Its Brewday!!! (Oatmeal Stout)

Post by chefgage » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:16 am

Time for a brewday I think. Going to get work out the way then on with an Oatmeal Stout which hopefully will be ready for chritstmas. It will be lovelly with sprouts and christmas pudding :)

I will post up some pictures when I get going :)

Here are some pictures from yesterdays brewday.
Recipe

Heating the mash water

Grains and hops

Recirculating the mash

Boiling

Sparging

Cooling and transfering to the fermenter

Fermenting away nicely :)

I ended up with 22l in the fermenter. There is 1l missing which is due to how the grainfather app calculates the grain absorbtion but i can live with that. OG was 1.047 which is 3 points lower than the recipe stated. Bit strange that as I am normally spot on. Never used oats before, maybe a contributing factor??

The sample tasted from the trial jar after boiling tasted amazing, lovely silky smoothness :)

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Re: Its Brewday!!! (Oatmeal Stout)

Post by Kev888 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:36 pm

Nice neat looking brew day!

Rolled oats (at least those I use) can retain a little bit more wort than normal grain does, particularly in systems (like the GF) which are otherwise pretty free draining. So yes, that can reduce both efficiency and volume slightly.

I recall another member has repeatedly asked GF to allow the absorption parameter to be tweaked, so far to no avail. Seems odd to me that the user has no control over such a fundamental setting, given that it is not necessarily set in stone. I suppose it is one of the trade-offs with using such software, it is very convenient but can also be less flexible where the creators haven't implemented what is needed. Sounds like it wasn't massively out in your case, though.
Kev

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:26 pm

You can actually change the absorbtion rate in the app but only after you have created a recipe using the original lower absorbtion rate. Then you click brew recipe and it gives you the option to change it. Thing is if you do change it, it will obviously effect the gravity readings as the grain weight stays the same ( it does not alter this to compensate to keep the abv the same as the recipe.)
This seems backward to me. The absorbtion rate should be changeable when you create the recipe, not after :)
I seem to remember someone emailing them like you said but never gets a reply. I have just emailed them about another point i was questioning about their app and they have replied. So i might email them about the absorbtion rate. Who knows they might change it :)

Apart from that it is a good one vessel system. Looking forward to drinking the oatmeal stout :)

rui
Piss Artist

Post by rui » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:29 pm

how this turned out??
Planning: Raspberry Witbier, , Bitter, Porter
FV1: BIAB#54 CHRISTMAS Porter
FV2:
FV3:
keg1: BIAB#49 Kölsh
keg2: Robust Porter
Keg3: Saison
Keg4: Best Bitter
bottled and conditioning: Extra-stout, Blonde ale, APA and Smoked Porter

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:50 am

rui wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:29 pm
how this turned out??
I have bottled it and it is now bottle carbonating/conditioning. I am planning on trying a bottle on christmas day. It will have had 2 weeks at this point. I know it will probably need longer to condition but you have to try a few early on dont you :)

I will let you know how it tastes on Monday :)

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:14 am

rui wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:29 pm
how this turned out??
It turned out very nice :) I had a couple of bottles on Christmas Day. It is has a very good silky smooth feel. It could do with another 3 or 4 weeks probably to fully condition but still very drinkable after only 2 weeks bottled.