Real experiences of using mangrove jack yeast?

Discuss all aspects of fermentation
rlemkin
Sober

Re: Real experiences of using mangrove jack yeast?

Post by rlemkin » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:01 pm

I have had good experiences with Mangrove Jack's Wit, Tripel, Bavarian Wheat and the Newcastle Dark Ale (or whatever they renamed it to)..

Rhodesy
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Rhodesy » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:30 pm

Does anyone have any experience they can share with regards to M76 and how long it took to kick off or their optimum temperature range? I brewed a Helles on Friday and pitched 2 packs rehydrated and have it sitting at the lower end of its range per the factsheet at 8c. Not seeing much activity in the FV which is fully transparent.

I am not panicking about it and pitching so low I did expect some lag time only I am looking for some views? If nothing happening by this evening then I may bump it up to around 10c. I am debating about doing a D rise near the end or keep it fermenting low throughout and then drop it to lagering temps?

TheSumOfAllBeers

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:02 am

I did a proper big pitch: 5 x into 50L x 1.046. Noticed no stalling, fermented at 12C then stepped up by 2C at 50,75&90.

Made a good beer, but finished very high.

Rhodesy

Post by Rhodesy » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:50 pm

TheSumOfAllBeers wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:02 am
I did a proper big pitch: 5 x into 50L x 1.046. Noticed no stalling, fermented at 12C then stepped up by 2C at 50,75&90.

I ramped it up to 9 this morning before leaving for work. Tonight there is pressure in the FV sitting around 5PSI so not yet activated the spending valve and a small krausen forming. I am ramping it further to 10c over the next 24 and will then let it sit for a bit

Bribie

Post by Bribie » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:05 am

My nearest home brew supplier that stocks liquid yeasts is about two hours drive from here, so I keep a fair stock of dried yeasts on hand and regularly use a couple:

M42 New World Strong Ale (previously Northern English Brown or something) - I find it's great for just about anything from American Pale ales to Blonde ales, and even used it in a stout where it did just as well as Wyeast Irish Ale. Very neutral and not too many esters. It's also a fast fermenter.

I also did a couple of lagers on M84 Bohemian Lager that I stepped up on a stir plate to give a good pitch. Nothing wrong with that either - it behaved pretty much like the liquid lager yeasts I have used in the past.

For many years we were more or less stuck with the likes of Notto or S-04 and a couple of lager yeasts. Nothing wrong with them at all, but a very limited range. I often feel that if companies like MJ had come up with such a wide range about ten years ago then Wyeast and Whitelabs might have faced fairly strong headwinds.

Rhodesy

Post by Rhodesy » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:27 pm

TheSumOfAllBeers wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:02 am

Can you remember your attenuation roughly? I am currently sitting at 71% and it looks like it is done. SG 1.050 down to 1.014, not too fussed about that only it is on the lowest end of their scale. I mashed low at 61c for 35 mins then stepped up to 69c for 35 mins then mashed out.

In any case will start dropping it if reading the same on Saturday.

TheSumOfAllBeers

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:45 pm

1.046 -> 1.015

Rhodesy

Post by Rhodesy » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:52 pm

Thanks for confirming.

TheSumOfAllBeers

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:21 am

I normally mash 66-67 for everything, usually losing 1-2C over 90 mins. My grist was mostly bohemian pils malt with about 15-20% Vienna both weyerman. Beer was bottle conditioned, possibly a bit under carbed, but I am not seeing any reawakened yeast in the bottles.

Rhodesy

Post by Rhodesy » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:23 pm

TheSumOfAllBeers wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:21 am
I normally mash 66-67 for everything, usually losing 1-2C over 90 mins. My grist was mostly bohemian pils malt with about 15-20% Vienna both weyerman. Beer was bottle conditioned, possibly a bit under carbed, but I am not seeing any reawakened yeast in the bottles.
cool, I am planning to keg so shouldn't have any problems on that front but good to know it can be/is a low attenuator. I am harvesting the yeast from this one and will re-pitch once I package this up after a good crash cool before lagering in the keg for a at least 4 weeks, probably more. Will be interesting to see how it does on a second attempt and made with a proper big 5L starter.

wolfenrook
Piss Artist

Post by wolfenrook » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:09 pm

I bottled a saison made with M29 2 days ago, went from 1.054 to 1.004 quite happily. Not tasted yet obviously so I can't comment on esters etc.

Put a brew on to ferment with M36 last night, the yeast actually woke up whilst rehydrating, krausen within 1 hour of pitching...

If these come out tasting nice they'll be going on my regular purchase list. :wink:

simpleton
Piss Artist

Post by simpleton » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:58 pm

Is their saison yeast similar to the belle saison stuff? Keen to try it but not keen on belle saison at all.

TheSumOfAllBeers

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:05 am

simpleton wrote:Is their saison yeast similar to the belle saison stuff? Keen to try it but not keen on belle saison at all.
The Saison I made blended MJ French Saison, with belle Saison. The character of the finished beer was very different to what I normally get with BS. There is a lovely tartness to it.

MJ French Saison yeast is on the must-use-again list

I have made good beers with BS but I got tired of the flavour of them. This beer was very different

simpleton
Piss Artist

Post by simpleton » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:03 pm

Good feedback. Tartness is what I’m after and the BS just doesn’t deliver. It eats wort like a champion but even at 1004 still tastes weirdly full bodied, fruity, sulphury and not much like a saison. I’m after tartness :)

Gonna get one brewed this week and test the MJ French saison yeast.

Bigveees

Post by Bigveees » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:19 am

Saison is mental to be dry! If you want tart try the local whore house, you might find the right yeast there :lol: