ageing then dry hopping in corny

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Onthebrew

ageing then dry hopping in corny

Post by Onthebrew » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:31 pm

In an effort to square the circle that hoppy ales are best drunk fresh to keep hoppiness but ales themselves tend to benefit from a couple of months ageing, would the following work to get both benefits?

1. Rack to a corny as usual, purge and carbonate enough to keep oxygen at bay then age for a couple of months
2. After its aged enough, dry hop corny and carbonate fully for a week, then serve.

Any reasons not to do this?

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Re: ageing then dry hopping in corny

Post by Fil » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:35 am

I cant see why not, have you considered a hop rocket or perhaps a diy hop randal (Aussie build based on a 10" water filter housing)??

that way you can brew your base beer and condition /mature as long as you like then when it comes to serving those hop bombs fill and hook up the rocket or randel inline between keg and tap and enjoy..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

killer
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by killer » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:41 am

Yes it is a good idea...

I've done this for hoppy lagers and ales. For the lagers, I have lagered for up to two months then added a healthy dose of hops (but not over the top quantites). It gives a different type of beer... very clean, very thirst quenching. The slight disadvantage is that you will lose a little bit of the late hop flavour- I always tend to add a lot of hops at 5/0/ hopstand.

For ales it does also work but personally I can accept the hop loss and wait 6 - 8 weeks for the matured beer.

@ Fil - I've never really enjoyed beers served through a Randal. They tend to be flat and muddled - maybe I've just not gone to the right places ?

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:57 am

Yes, dry-hopping the keg is an established method. TBH I wouldn't bother for many styles, but for those which benefit from hop aroma yet have been stored for some time it can really rejuvenate them. Thats mostly how I've used it anyway - I've never tried it instead of dry hopping the FV, only in addition.

You need some way of containing or filtering the hops of course, but thats about the only issue. Some people dislike the oxygen they may introduce, which isn't ideal, but I don't personally think thats a big issue shortly before using the keg, and for the small amounts involved.
Kev

Onthebrew

Post by Onthebrew » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:34 pm

ok cool, sounds like its a goer then. will probably do it in addition to an aroma stand and dry hop to be safe when Doing IPAs.

Do you take them back out of the keg after 3 days/a week, as with a dry hop? or leave them in as it will be at fridge temps?

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:18 am

Have you considered one of these.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

FUBAR
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by FUBAR » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:40 pm

orlando wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:18 am
Have you considered one of these.
Bloody hell that's pricey,I have the same one and it was just over £7 on eBay.Cant add a link at the moment as on my phone .
I buy my grain & hops from here http://www.homebrewkent.co.uk/

I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me - Winston Churchill

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:24 am

Yeh I got one from China, £6.50-ish about 6months ago, it works ok, although it floats unless you weight it down.
Here's a link to a few on evilbay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/sis.html?_nk ... 2749.l2658
To Busy To Add,

Onthebrew

Post by Onthebrew » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:32 pm

EddtheBrew wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:57 pm

then dry hop @ the desired rate ( no more than 25 g per 25 litres , on all gravities ) but for the weaker classes of beer @ three to four weeks ,
the last brew dog one i did had about 150g!! dry hopped i think! chucked them in lose to fv and cold crashed after 3 days before racking. i was really disappointed with lack of hop aroma though

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by jaroporter » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:57 pm

EddtheBrew wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:59 pm
I'd only dry hop @ the point of racking etc as yeast & fermentation eat/ drive off a lot of aromatics
or.. the yeast & fermentation eat/chew up and spit out a load of different aromatics.. :wink:

i got the same cheap corny hopper on ebay too (the 300mm one), yet to use it though. you guys got a rough idea of the maximum capacity?
dazzled, doused in gin..