Re: Old Beers & Brewing

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
Dave.T
Steady Drinker

Post by Dave.T » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:31 pm

Hello Edd,
Thanks for the reply, i will look out for your post for Northgate ales. You mentioned Old Chester, i think that Greenhalls carried on brewing it after they closed the Northgate down in 69. A lot of people turned their nose up at Greenhalls bitter but the Original was a favourite of mine.
Dave.

fatcontro11er
Piss Artist

Post by fatcontro11er » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:33 am

Enjoying this thread!

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:30 am

orlando wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:07 pm
Thanks again, going to try that Allsopp's Mild. =D>
And I have.

Unfortunately I didn't have a Burton yeast, used London Ale. This yeast throws a little sulphur but probably not as pronounced as Burton. I find the London Ale yeast (WLP 013) to be a little boring tbh. The thing that will surprise most modern drinkers about the beer is of course the colour. These days if a "Mild" isn't dark it's not a "Mild". This beer needs to be drunk young as intended i.e. Mild, not Stock or Stale. The important element for me is the Mild Ale malt, without it the beer would be very uninteresting. I wonder if the times it was brewed reflect the ingredients used, something of an austerity brew. At 3.4% it needs to be and can be drunk quite quickly, I suspect it will dry out really rapidly. Thanks for the recipe. =D>
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

orlando
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:06 pm

OK will take some. Have to use SWMBO's new phone to do it as the proper camera has fallen over so might not be great.

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

orlando

Post by orlando » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:21 pm

EddtheBrew wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:25 pm

Hi Orlando ,
Hope you enjoy it , I`d appreciate a couple of pics when it`s ready !!
Cheers

Edd
There you go. Sorry about the quality of the picture, doesn't do the beer justice.

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

orlando

Post by orlando » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:10 pm

Have to say Edd it has turned out better than it looked on paper. As I said above this is not one to last. I will be taking it to an Anglian Craft Brewers meeting on Saturday so will have a lot more feedback on it then.

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

Eric
Even further under the Table

Post by Eric » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:12 pm

Thanks for this most interesting thread.
Edd,you mentioned your interest in breweries to the east of the Pennines, have you any information Nimmo's of Castle Eden? I'm especially interested in Nimmo's XXXX of the nineteen fifties and sixties.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

Eric
Even further under the Table

Post by Eric » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:34 am

Very many thanks fr this Edd, that is very valuable information. I'll contact the Record Office having intended doing that for family history for many years but never have, but this time there's no excuse. I'll PM for an exchange of email addresses too. Again many thanks.
Eric.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

HTH1975
Piss Artist

Post by HTH1975 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:12 pm

How does one go about getting this info? There are long-defunct breweries here in Thirsk that would be great to research. Getting recipes would be amazing

HTH1975
Piss Artist

Post by HTH1975 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:35 pm

EddtheBrew wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:32 pm
HTH1975 wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:12 pm
How does one go about getting this info? There are long-defunct breweries here in Thirsk that would be great to research. Getting recipes would be amazing
Hi ,
I'll have a look around and see what I can find , could you let me know which brewers you're interested in? , as the only North Yorkshire brewery whose records I've seen are those of Charles Rose & Co , The Old Brewery , Malton 1895-8 ( just after Rose's bought the brewery) .
A couple of other bits though , not all breweries production records have survived in public archives , quite a few would have been fed to the boilers , burnt or just skipped !! , sometimes the brewer at the time of closure might have 'rescued' some .
Happy to convert any that turn up though ! , pop me a pm if you'd like to correspond directly ,
Cheers
Edd
There were two Thirsk breweries - Kirkgate (also known as Castle) Brewery and also Rhoads Brewery.

As far as I can tell, they were both defunct by around the early 1900s.

Kirkgate Brewery was also a maltsters. Interesting that if this was common practice, then regional beers would have differed by virtue of not just the water profile and yeast, but also the local malts.

HTH1975
Piss Artist

Post by HTH1975 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:00 pm

EddtheBrew wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:23 pm
Hi ,
I don't think that any old brewing production records from those will have survived , though if they were attached to pubs , maybe they're hiding in the attics? , another research avenue might be a notice on the nearest local history forum group's webpage .
On the locally made malt thing , yup it would add individuality along with process steps , and yeast !
I'll keep digging though ,

Cheers

Edd
The buildings where they ‘were’ are now houses. I’m sure someone somewhere will have more info, but getting my hands on it will be the hard bit.

swiggingpig
Steady Drinker

Post by swiggingpig » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:49 am

EddtheBrew wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:47 pm
Hi All ,
An update on the book project ; I've now chosen the beers for the book with 100 recipies !! , and the provisional/ working title is "Brewed Up North, with a secondary title " Old Beers and Brewing in the north of England 1844 - 1967"
Cheers
Edd
Do you have an expected release date for your book ?

swiggingpig
Steady Drinker

Post by swiggingpig » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:05 pm

EddtheBrew wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:56 pm
Hi Swiggingpig ,
I've not got a release date as yet , as I've not found a publisher yet ! .
I've done the fun part with writing the recipies, I've just got to put the flesh on the bones , and choose illustrations !! ,
Cheers
Edd
Good luck finding a publisher or perhaps self publish on Lulu as Ron Pattinson does.

You can put me down for a copy :)

orlando

Post by orlando » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:37 am

swiggingpig wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:05 pm
EddtheBrew wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:56 pm
Hi Swiggingpig ,
I've not got a release date as yet , as I've not found a publisher yet ! .
I've done the fun part with writing the recipies, I've just got to put the flesh on the bones , and choose illustrations !! ,
Cheers
Edd
Good luck finding a publisher or perhaps self publish on Lulu as Ron Pattinson does.

You can put me down for a copy :)
Or Pete Brown's crowdfunding publisher Unbound.

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

Mr Uppity

Post by Mr Uppity » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:00 am

Pete Brown's book took an age to get published, personally I would never buy with a crowdfunder again. Lulu is a better bet.