GF - Starting boil as I sparge?

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
Robhaigh
Tippler

GF - Starting boil as I sparge?

Post by Robhaigh » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:46 pm

I have a GF and a sparge water heater.
so..
I mash, then I lift the basket and start to sparge from the sparge heater.

Question... can I start the boil timer immediately? or do I have to wait till all the sparge water has gone through the grain?

I only ask as it takes an age to sparge (roughly 20 mins) and if it makes no difference I could be using this time to start the boil.

Coffeeuk
Piss Artist

Re: GF - Starting boil as I sparge?

Post by Coffeeuk » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:23 pm

If you’ve got the connect controller it will heat the wort to 98 degrees once you start the sparge and keep it there until you tell the sparge counter you’ve added all the water. Very clever really

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:24 pm

Yes start to heat the wort in the boiler as your sparging. Are you using the bluetooth app? I ask as this automatically starts heat the wort up as your sparging. Although you can switch it on and off as sometimes it gets near boiling before you have finished the sparge.

Forgot to add, thats if your using the connect controller that is

Robhaigh
Tippler

Post by Robhaigh » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:39 pm

Yep, using connect.

I noticed it keeps the wort at 98 whilst I sparge.
Can I in that case keep sparging but tell the connect I have added all my sparge and then the boil cycle will start whilst I am still sparging therefore saving me some time?

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

FUBAR
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by FUBAR » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:45 pm

I always set mine to boil as soon as I have lifted the basket,never had it reach a boil before the sparge is finished .
I buy my grain & hops from here http://www.homebrewkent.co.uk/

I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me - Winston Churchill

Robhaigh
Tippler

Post by Robhaigh » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:58 pm

Thanks all.will start the boil after I lift the basket . Should save me some time.

Secla

Post by Secla » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:57 pm

The fact that your adding cooler water should mean you won't reach boil until after you have finished sparging

Robhaigh
Tippler

Post by Robhaigh » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:50 pm

Secla wrote:The fact that your adding cooler water should mean you won't reach boil until after you have finished sparging
So, do you reckon I should be patient and wait till I have sparged all water through the grain or , start boil and continue to sparge?

Secla

Post by Secla » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:39 pm

Just set to boil and start sparging
You won't reach boil before the end of sparge

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Post by Dave S » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:38 pm

As per others' advice, tell it you've finished sparging as soon as you lift the basket. I used to let it heat up to the 98C point but found for some reason I'm not sure of that it was sticking at around 92C for a very long time. Once I set to boil the problem went away.
Best wishes

Dave

FULLERS
Tippler

Post by FULLERS » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:02 pm

i set mine at 98 and do a slow sparge...perfect

thehaze
Tippler

Post by thehaze » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:53 am

I too set it to boil temperature as soon as the grain basket is lifted. Works well and although you keep adding cooler water, it will still shorten the time you need to ask before hitting boil temp.

Kingfisher4
Hollow Legs

Post by Kingfisher4 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:45 pm

Agreed, the only extra point to watch is that the GF is not so full that you risk a boil over. Unlikely but I get significant froth forming from about 96 degrees C and the grain tube might exaggerate the frothing as evaporation is reduced. I've never had this happen yet but I know some people try to maximise volume in GF.

Binkie Huckaback
Piss Artist

Post by Binkie Huckaback » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:38 pm

Can I ask what you're using as a sparge water heater and you control the temperature?

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:09 pm

Damned if I'd let it boil with the malt tube sitting on top. Sounds like a monster boil-over waiting to happen. But I'm quite happy letting it heat to 98C while "sparging" (haven't sparged in GF for ages, just drained having done a "full-boil-volume" mash*).

Still, there are folk who boil with the lid on and get away with it. I'd never get away with it. I've no idea what people are brewing to never experience boil-overs. Dishwater?

*I might "sparge" with a few litres of water because the GF is a bit small for full-boil-volume mashes. But I long ago figured out that the temperature of sparge water is unimportant and anywhere between 10 and 80C will do (for "Binkie Huckaback").
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing