engine hoist for large grain biab

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
brewpete
Piss Artist

engine hoist for large grain biab

Post by brewpete » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:36 pm

hi am looking at the idea of upgrading to a 200l brewpot for biab looking at the brewbuilder brewpots ond brew in the bag com 200l bag and getting a 1 ton engine hoist to lift the grain does this sound like it would work

Haydnexport
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: engine hoist for large grain biab

Post by Haydnexport » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:59 pm

I'd go for this kind of hoist https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wolf-250kg-2 ... SwkLhZ5gz2 . Hope the bag will be strong

brewpete
Piss Artist

Post by brewpete » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:03 pm

aye looks good problem is i brew in the conservatory and cannot think of a way of attaching it the engine hoists fold i think

TheSumOfAllBeers

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:28 pm

brewpete wrote:aye looks good problem is i brew in the conservatory and cannot think of a way of attaching it the engine hoists fold i think
I do BIAB in a 100L kettle largest grain bill was 18 kg.

If you dont have a suitable way of lifting the bag, don't go down this route.

I make do with a sky hook arrangement: kayaking thowlines secured to the upstairs balcony, and some mechanical advantage.

Do you have a window in the ceiling of your conservatory?

What is stopping you from brewing outside?

wolfenrook
Piss Artist

Post by wolfenrook » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:18 pm

Would a set of ladders fit? If so you could use them as an A-frame to attach your hoist to.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:09 pm

If you cant lift the grain bag ? how about dropping the pot below the bag, a scissor lift table would allow you to secure the bag in place and drop the pot below the bag and wheel it to the next stage..

Such a device would allow you to brew at single level and still employ gravity draining of the kettle too

probably not the budget option tho ;)
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

wolfenrook
Piss Artist

Post by wolfenrook » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:18 pm

Or you could just break with traditional method and do what I do. Drain the wort away from the bag, rather than removing the bag from the wort. I do it that way as I move my boiler between mashing and boiling, which is a lot easier to do with an empty boiler.

brewpete
Piss Artist

Post by brewpete » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:35 am

Cool I think you have hit the nail on the head just bought a brass drill pump and have an 48l igloo cube what I have never used should work out great

razzrockbolt
Steady Drinker

Post by razzrockbolt » Wed May 02, 2018 1:02 pm

Not sure that a 48ltr igloo is going to be big enough if you are looking to use a 200ltr kettle.

I have a 100ltr kettle and use an aluminium ladder lent up against the house wall and a cheap set of pulleys to hoist my grain bag from the kettle. I then then drop the bag into a large trug before re-suspending to catch the last runnings whilst bringing the kettle to the boil. The pulleys, lifting strap and steel carabiners to connect the grain bag to the pulley I got off the internet for a few quid.

I do recommend getting a grain bag with 4 lifting loops. I have one with only 2 loops so use bulldog clips to close it up when lifting. If I don't I loose some grain as it gapes open a bit.

brewpete
Piss Artist

Post by brewpete » Tue May 08, 2018 4:42 pm

no it not big enough have ordered a 200l biab and gonna get a 200l kettle from brewbuilder still thinking about the 1ton folding engine hoist though
how do you keep the ladders from slipping ??

razzrockbolt
Steady Drinker

Post by razzrockbolt » Tue May 08, 2018 5:02 pm

I brew outside the back of the garage on concrete slab paving. Never had an issue with the ladder slipping.

The main concern is making sure I have enough clearance to get the out of the pot. As long as I do that it hasn't been a problem. The last beer I made at the weekend had a 19kg grain bill and I did need another person to help give slack on the pulley so that I could drop it down into the trug. Smaller grain bills I have been able to do by myself, one hand on bag, one on the rope.

Once the bag is in the trug I move the ladder away from the kettle and re-suspend the bag to finish draining.

Secla

Post by Secla » Tue May 08, 2018 10:48 pm

brewpete wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 4:42 pm
no it not big enough have ordered a 200l biab and gonna get a 200l kettle from brewbuilder still thinking about the 1ton folding engine hoist though
how do you keep the ladders from slipping ??
I may have a brewbuilder 200l triclamp pot for sale soon, think i oversized and will get another 100l instead if your interested

drtablet
Sober

Post by drtablet » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:30 am

Hello,
I do BIAB in a 185l pot, so use about 130litres of water with about 30kg of grain. Which is pretty heavy when wet, but nothing I cant lift with the pully.
I pull mine up with a pully no problem and swing the bag over the pot before releasing it into a wheel barrow.
This guy in the states made my custom bags , he also does the pully.
https://www.brewinabag.com/
I used a 150kg rated ceiling hook (for a boxing punchbag from ebay) to attached the pully onto.
hope that help
Craig