Campden Tablets

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
mosquat
Piss Artist

Campden Tablets

Post by mosquat » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:16 am

Hi all,

I'm thinking of not using my HLT anymore and instead using hotwater directly from my combi boiler, I have a RIMS so getting up to temp is not a problem - the only potential downside I can think of is some of the water treatment I usually carry out is in the HLT and all will now need to be done directly in the mash.

Campden tabs are the one thing I'm not sure I can sling into the mash - does anyone have an opinion on this either way?

thanks all!

Carl

sbond10
Even further under the Table
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Re: Campden Tablets

Post by sbond10 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:26 am

I use water directly out of the combi use a old measured fermenter to carry the water from my bathroom to brew shed, at this point it at 50-52 c. I do this twice 18 litres at a time then i turn on gas burner lob in my camden tab, 10-15 minutes later im at 69 c. Saves an awful lot of time and gas in my eyes. Especially considering i talked to the gas engineer who fitted the boiler the water comes in and never touches the element. So my system flush is turn on the tap and by time it gets up to 50c any water sitting in the lines has been flushed away

Hope this helps

mosquat
Piss Artist

Post by mosquat » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:39 am

Thanks....assuming you are happy with your end beer product? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mosquat
Piss Artist

Post by mosquat » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:41 am

Just as an aside I got my plumber to fit an external hot tap which makes it much easier to go from boiler to mash tun in my brew shed. Its also great for cleanup

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Manngold » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:46 am

Is there any risk in using the hot tap like this? I have only done it with one brew, didn't really notice any difference taste wise.

Thanks

mosquat
Piss Artist

Post by mosquat » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:19 pm

Im happy when i’ve gone from tap to HLT (treated water)then into tun at about 52, planning now to sell the HLT to save some brew shed space

sbond10
Even further under the Table
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Post by sbond10 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:31 pm

I have a down stairs loo , i was looking at gettong food grade hose instead of carryin nthe water but.it was cost prohibitive.
Ive done 25 brews never had an issue

mosquat
Piss Artist

Post by mosquat » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:33 pm

Cheers for sharing your experience

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:29 pm

Just to add, I too use hot water from my boiler and raised the whole question of water treatments (including campden) on the Brewing Liqour section a couple of months ago. Consensus from the guys who know their 'onions on this subject', was there shouldn't be on issue. Although the treatments (campden included) wasn't in 'contact' with the liqour from a 'cold start' it was long enough pre-mash temp to do the necessary.

mosquat
Piss Artist

Post by mosquat » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:30 pm

Ah that’s a perfect answer thanks for that mate. Actually going to re-purpose the HLT as a new boiler now

Matt in Birdham
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Matt in Birdham » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:29 pm

Not a chemist, but I do remember reading once that the campden/chlorine reaction is very fast, so time shouldn't be an issue.

As for hot water from a combi being potable - I think it should be absolutely fine. It is literally coming in the same mains as the cold and getting heated before travelling down a copper pipe. There is some pervasive fear about drinking hot water that must come from the old tank days (I do remember my Dad dragging a dead pigeon out of ours in the loft, many years ago, so maybe there is some merit to the concern :) although I have a funny feeling it was actually a cold water tank that fed the cold water to the upstairs bathrooms). My missus gets very nervous when she sees me fill the pasta water pan from the hot tap (we have a combi) so I have to do it on the sly now. I will also kick off a brew with hot water every now and then - why not?

mosquat
Piss Artist

Post by mosquat » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:32 pm

Cheers, Matt, good tip on the campden reaction. I’m sure water from the combi will be ok and wont taste pidgeony :)