Mosaic Pale Ale.

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
rcammish
Tippler

Mosaic Pale Ale.

Post by rcammish » Thu May 03, 2018 7:19 pm

Hi. Could some of you experienced brewers tell me if this looks OK. It's the first recipe I've cobbled together.
I'm using mosaic hops at 11.5 alpha acid.

4.5 kg MO.
0.2 kg carapils.
All mosaic hop additions.
25g at 60mins
10g at 15mins
10g at 5mins
15g steep
40 dry hop for 6 days.
Us05 yeast.

Any feedback or comments would be welcome.
Thanks.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Last edited by rcammish on Thu May 03, 2018 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Mosaic Pale Ale.

Post by Manngold » Thu May 03, 2018 9:02 pm

It looks good to me. Running it through beer smith and it is coming up at about 40ibu. If it was me I would be tempted to change the 60 minute addition to something like magnum and up the flame out addition. I like the grain profile and often do that in my single hop brews.

keith1664
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by keith1664 » Fri May 04, 2018 12:07 am

I'd look at reducing the 60 minute bittering addition ( and maybe use a different hop as suggested before) then use more Mosaic later.
The dry hop 6 days, is that after or for? If for that may be touch long.
In or near Norwich? Interested in meeting up monthly to talk and drink beer? PM me for details.

rcammish
Tippler

Post by rcammish » Fri May 04, 2018 7:23 am

OK. Thanks for the advice.
I've just ordered 25 g of magnum. I'll bitter with those to 30ibu.
Should I change any of the other hop schedule or just dry hop with the excess of 65g?
I was thinking of dry hopping 4 or 5 days into primary fermentation and leaving for 6 days.
Hopefully this seems OK.
Thanks

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Fri May 04, 2018 7:24 am

keith1664 wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 12:07 am
I'd look at reducing the 60 minute bittering addition ( and maybe use a different hop as suggested before) then use more Mosaic later.
The dry hop 6 days, is that after or for? If for that may be touch long.
Agree with Keith, waste of Mosaic at 60 minutes a cheap high alpha hop is all you need. There is some evidence that extracting aroma no longer happens after a couple of days and a view that long dry hops can lead to astringency and or grassiness. I'm not saying don't do it, I think it is important for you to learn from this so sample every day, unless it compromises the beer, and really focus on the sensory information it gives you. Just make sure the dry hop stays at normal fermentation temperatures. Other than that I don't think you can go wrong with that recipe.

Next time experiment by bittering to say 30 IBU's then push all your additions to post boil, large steep at 70-80c for an hour, preferably whirlpooling, then the rest as a dry hop. If you do it post again, as it would be interesting to many to see what the effect in this change to hop usage is from the "traditional" approach of your recipe.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

orlando
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Fri May 04, 2018 7:27 am

Ha! Cross posted. If I were you I would stick with your original plan and brew again (immediately) with the ideas outlined. You will learn much more.

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

rcammish
Tippler

Post by rcammish » Fri May 04, 2018 7:36 am

Yes I agree. Great advice. I'll try the traditional recipe first and when I brew this next time I will incorporate your suggestions. I've never sampled mosaic before to my knowledge so looking forward to this one. Thanks again.

orlando

Post by orlando » Fri May 04, 2018 8:45 am

rcammish wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 7:36 am
Yes I agree. Great advice. I'll try the traditional recipe first and when I brew this next time I will incorporate your suggestions. I've never sampled mosaic before to my knowledge so looking forward to this one. Thanks again.

If you bottle put one from the first batch in a cold dark fridge until you have a bottle of the "new" one. This will hold the first one back and make comparison a little closer.

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

rcammish
Tippler

Post by rcammish » Fri May 04, 2018 12:20 pm

I was just thinking the same thing. It will make for an interesting comparison.

Barley Water
Under the Table

Post by Barley Water » Tue May 15, 2018 2:54 pm

I absolutely agree with the previous posters, save the mosaic for late hopping and use a high alpha variety for the 60 minute addition. Depending on your water however, I would not just use any high alpha hop. Especially if your water is hard, consider a low cohumolone hop. For lagers, I use Magnum as discussed but for ales I'm big on Warrior although certainly Magnum will work with ales also. Mosaic is one of my favorite hops for APA's and IPA's but I don't like to use it by itself because to my humble taste it can make the beer seem really fruity. I generally mix in some Amarillo but you know perhaps that is just a "Yank" thing. :D
Drinking:Saison (in bottles), Belgian Dubbel (in bottles), Oud Bruin (in bottles), Olde Ale (in bottles),
Abbey Triple (in bottles), Munich Helles, Best Bitter (TT Landlord clone), English IPA
Conditioning: Traditional bock bier, CAP
Fermenting: Munich Dunkel
Next up: Bitter (London Pride like), ESB
So many beers to make, so little time (and cold storage space)

j444fog
Steady Drinker

Post by j444fog » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:54 pm

How did this go in the end? I'm fermenting a Mosaic /Magnum combo at the moment, 100 % MO Pale malt (+terrified wheat). Interested to find out what you thought of your brew and what you went for in the end.

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:00 am

j444fog wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:54 pm
100 % MO Pale malt (+terrified wheat).
j44,
Wheat is always scared of Beer! :D

WA

wolfenrook
Piss Artist

Post by wolfenrook » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:29 pm

Brewed a Mosaic single hop IPA myself recently (meh to all this using Magnum to bitter business) with 150g of Mosaic in there (50g of that been the dry hop, 53.4g at flame out) and it's absolutely delicious.

Me, I say don't be scared to go single hop. There's a reason the Greg Hughes book has a whole load of them in there.

Kingfisher4
Hollow Legs

Post by Kingfisher4 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:08 pm

wolfenrook wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:29 pm
Brewed a Mosaic single hop IPA myself recently (meh to all this using Magnum to bitter business) with 150g of Mosaic in there (50g of that been the dry hop, 53.4g at flame out) and it's absolutely delicious.

Me, I say don't be scared to go single hop. There's a reason the Greg Hughes book has a whole load of them in there.
I enjoyed Greg Hughes East Kent Goldings single hop so much that the ingredients are weighed out ready for my next brew, as the last batch disappeared quickly!

The single hop cascade is bottle conditioning now. Looking forward to sampling soon.

Which have you tried? Which have you enjoyed most? Clearly, the generic recipe can be adapted to any single hop variety we choose.

HairyJamie
Steady Drinker

Post by HairyJamie » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:24 pm

The Greg Hughes single hop Amarillo is fantastic, I've brewed this a few times :)

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk