Hop Growing 2018

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
Hanglow
Under the Table

Hop Growing 2018

Post by Hanglow » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:52 pm

:D

Was in the allotment today and noticed my three plants have started to sprout (two hallertau mittelfruh, one centennial.) I also planted another HM cutting in a hedgerow somewhere in glasgow, hopefully it grows and i or someone else can get some hops from it

Where is everyone else at? I presume down south are a tad more advanced although I think it's been a bit cold for everyone this "spring" so far

Hallertau Mittelfruh

Matt in Birdham
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Hop Growing 2018

Post by Matt in Birdham » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:02 pm

South coast checking in. Here's a pic of my Centennial from this morning - perhaps 6 inches now:

I also have a Cascade which is not as far along - about the same stage as your pic, with just a few shoots visible. Good to see both are doing something though.

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:05 pm

Up to around 2 inch in North Yorkshire on all mine - Cascade, Fuggles, First Gold, Northdown, Styrian Golding and Santiam. Last 2 (Xmas gifts) are in pots as haven't as yet prepared a 'site' for them but all are pretty vigorous already.

Based on last years harvest with the other 4, 2 of which were on their 1st year, expecting to have more than I can use this/next year. If so, would be happy to pass some on.

keith1664
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by keith1664 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:58 am

The hops seem to be as reluctant as I to stick their heads outdoors, some slight activity though.

Cascade

Cobb

First Gold

I don’t keep records of hop growing but from memory they seem a bit late this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In or near Norwich? Interested in meeting up monthly to talk and drink beer? PM me for details.

Matt in Birdham
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Matt in Birdham » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:54 am

Quite a forest of Cascade coming up there!

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:06 am

looking good!

Matt in Birdham
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Matt in Birdham » Sun May 06, 2018 9:40 pm

Well my hops seem to have stopped growing! Not much has happened at all for a month now, bar perhaps another 6 inches of slow growth - this after they came barrelling out of the gates and put on a foot or so in the first month that they were above ground. Also lower leaves are yellowing a little around the edges. Issues I can think of might be drainage (we are on clay), but hops are on a mound. I've been watering regularly but not over watering (I hope). Lots of sun in the location as well. I have been searching around a bit, and apparently first year hops can slow down significantly as they send energy to the rhizome for years ahead. Perhaps this is happening? Anyone else had this? Will try and get a pic when I remember.

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Sun May 06, 2018 9:44 pm

Can't help you, but hope they recover

I have been taking a bunch of cuttings and also cut a bit of rhizome off that had a few shoots on it, will see if it takes

Matt in Birdham
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Matt in Birdham » Sun May 06, 2018 10:15 pm

Yeah - popular view around the web is that any sort of stall in the first season might not be something to worry about (or it might be). I gave them a liquid feed today just in case it was nutrient deficiency, and will keep them watered and weeded and see how they go. Not much more I can do really - one thing I do know from my gardening experience (such that it is) is that over fussing tends to be worse than under. Hopefully they are just concentrating on growing a massive rhizome and will burst forth next year like triffids :)

robbarwell
Hollow Legs

Post by robbarwell » Mon May 07, 2018 9:52 pm

my Chinook is on its way...about 4ft up

Mart
Sober

Post by Mart » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:01 pm

Got Challenger, Cascade, Chinook and Bramling Cross growing in the garden but I can't post pictures of them. Challenger is growing like a weed but the other 3 are a lot smaller as they're only in their second season.

BigMouth
Steady Drinker

Post by BigMouth » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:03 pm

How are they doing now, Matt?

I have a golding (cobbs) now in its third season that is growing beautifully over a wood store and into an apple tree (trained along wires).
Last season, I got a decent harvest but I kid you not, in the first year I got one cone. Nice big cone mind, but one! I plopped it in with the fuggles harvest and told myself next year would be better.

Meanwhile, fuggles and first gold (prima donna) were decent crops that first year and even better last year. This year miss Cobbs is the busiest of all.

On a side note, all this talk of rhizomes, I have had success with cuttings.
Last year, while training the vines together around garden wires so they grow, easier to harvest and more attractive, horizontally along fences etc, I accidently snapped some growths. Planting them in pots in the green house some took, so my three plants is now 6 in the garden - 3 in year 3 and 3 in their first year.

First gold grows great for me. A good harvest and being a dwarf, very manageable over the arbor.

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by barneey » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:52 pm

Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:14 pm

Here are mine, they are about 12-16 feet long now

hallertau

centennial

hallertau

got about five pots of cuttings too

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:07 pm

Mine are well into forming hop burrs now, I'm fairly sure they'll be ready a couple of weeks earlier than the last couple of years . :)