Over sugared the brew

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Big oiler Jim
Tippler

Over sugared the brew

Post by Big oiler Jim » Sat May 19, 2018 11:06 pm

Hi
I made a brew and it is too sweet. So I must of put to much sugar in

Is there a way I can remove the sugar or can I brew it again by adding more yeast?

steviebobs83
Piss Artist

Re: Over sugared the brew

Post by steviebobs83 » Sat May 19, 2018 11:14 pm

Lots more info needed, Jim.

What was your recipe? What yeast did you use? What was your fermentation temp/time?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Big oiler Jim
Tippler

Post by Big oiler Jim » Sun May 20, 2018 12:21 am

I thought that would of been enough but this will be very hard to explain so I will have a go

Been brewing orange juice in there own 1 litre cartons
Pored some of the contents of each carton out into a pan and added supermarket sugar to the pan and boiled it then poured the contents of the pan back into the cartons weighted for them to cool then added powdered bread yeast. Most of them tasted OK of what I have been drinking for the last 4 nights but 2 or 3 of them are too sweet

steviebobs83
Piss Artist

Post by steviebobs83 » Sun May 20, 2018 8:34 am

No offence Jim but that sounds horrible. Are you in prison by any chance?

All joking aside, bread yeast isn't really intended for brewing. It will ferment but not in a way that you can rely on for consistent results. That's probably your main culprit but there are tons more things that could've gone wrong.

Get yourself a decent fermentation vessel (bucket with lid) and some wine yeast from Wilko and things should improve dramatically.

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Sun May 20, 2018 9:00 am

Hi Jim, as steviebobs says, bread yeast is far from ideal for brewing (especially if the alcohol content is reasonably high) and that's probably what your problem is. Also, I suspect orange juice might be a bit too acidic to brew with, though I'm not sure if that's the case or not, never having tried it.

If you want to understand a bit more about the ins and outs of fermentation, there's some info here - http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/fermentation.htm . (there are 3 pages of info there; you need to use the sub menu at the top (or bottom) to navigate through them all).
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by jaroporter » Sun May 20, 2018 5:53 pm

bread yeast ferments absolutely fine, but may like warmer temperatures than most brewing yeasts. it's (usually?) the same family as brewers yeast anyways i think. the flavour would be the main reason people don't use it much. likewise it can ferment similar strengths of alcohol to ale yeasts though given we don't know how much sugar is being added and oj is full of sugar to start with i can definitely see that as a potential area of concern.

i'd also be strongly looking at pH though. chuck some chalk in there and i reckon there's a good chance it'll continue.
dazzled, doused in gin..

Big oiler Jim
Tippler

Post by Big oiler Jim » Mon May 21, 2018 12:09 am

steviebobs83 wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 8:34 am
No offence Jim but that sounds horrible. Are you in prison by any chance?
Har Har :D
No it much better then I though, if you give it a tea bag (forgot to mention what I added to it when boiling the sugar) it give it a taste of maturity

Big oiler Jim
Tippler

Post by Big oiler Jim » Mon May 21, 2018 12:19 am

steviebobs83 wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 8:34 am
Get yourself a decent fermentation vessel (bucket with lid) and some wine yeast from Wilko and things should improve dramatically.
Could not be bothered with all this sterilization crap, so that is why I tried a differant method
But Wilko sell wine yeast!!! wow if that is the case I will be in town tomorow and I will pop into there shop. thanks

Big oiler Jim
Tippler

Post by Big oiler Jim » Mon May 21, 2018 12:23 am

jaroporter wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 5:53 pm
i'd also be strongly looking at pH though. chuck some chalk in there and i reckon there's a good chance it'll continue.
Orange yes higher acid, but would this high PH be a problem for taste or fermentation?

Big oiler Jim
Tippler

Post by Big oiler Jim » Mon May 21, 2018 12:25 am

Big oiler Jim wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 12:23 am
jaroporter wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 5:53 pm
Orange yes higher acid, but would this high PH be a problem for taste or fermentation?
Har har :D at this point I am reminded to chuck a couple of Rennie tables in as they are full of chalk and good for you

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by jaroporter » Mon May 21, 2018 8:07 am

good pH is around 5. i'm also thinking uou are proba ly short on yeast nutrients too. what abv drink are you actually wanting to brew? looking at your other thread i'd recommend looking at the winemaking forums as there's plenty of people doing "WOW" recipes with fruit juices. easy enough but a little more than just adding yeast.
dazzled, doused in gin..

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Manngold » Mon May 21, 2018 10:32 am

Jim, you could also buy the 5L water bottles from the shops. They are sterile, so you can drink the water, pour in the fruit juice and then add your yeast. That way you could brew more than just 1l a time.

Paddington
Piss Artist

Post by Paddington » Mon May 21, 2018 10:57 pm

This is a wind up surely? Orange juice, sugar, a tea bag, rennies and bread yeast?

steviebobs83
Piss Artist

Post by steviebobs83 » Mon May 21, 2018 11:10 pm

[quote="Paddington"]This is a wind up surely? Orange juice, sugar, a tea bag, rennies and bread yeast?[/quote] I'm waiting for someone to mention Marmite.

Kingfisher4
Hollow Legs

Post by Kingfisher4 » Tue May 22, 2018 3:14 pm

Paddington wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 10:57 pm
This is a wind up surely? Orange juice, sugar, a tea bag, rennies and bread yeast?
Only missed 1/4/18 by a few weeks! :)