potato wine

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
Big oiler Jim
Tippler

potato wine

Post by Big oiler Jim » Thu May 24, 2018 2:18 am

So on one of my other posts I was told that tomato would not brew well as there is little starch to them.
So we all know potatos have a lot of starch in them and I have a lot of potatos hear so why not!

Any way I have googled "how to make potato wine" and see no clear conection of how do they turn the starch into sugar, they just say cook the potatos off then drain the juice and mix with yeast or lemon.

How do you get the sugar out of them please?

Jim
Site Admin

Re: potato wine

Post by Jim » Thu May 24, 2018 8:55 am

Don't they make vodka from a potato ferment?

I would think some kind of starch dissolving enzyme such as amylase - https://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/ac ... e_25g.html - since potatoes (afaik) don't have their own like barley malt does.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

HTH1975
Piss Artist

Post by HTH1975 » Thu May 24, 2018 5:59 pm

Big oiler Jim
Tippler

Post by Big oiler Jim » Fri May 25, 2018 3:08 am

Jim wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 8:55 am

I would think some kind of starch dissolving enzyme such as amylase - https://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/ac ... e_25g.html - since potatoes (afaik) don't have their own like barley malt does.
I think they do make vodka from it Jim; and I know that the Irish are famos for there 70%+ moonshine called Poitín
But I am confuesd by you link, what are you sopposed to do with it and how dose it change starch into sugar?

Big oiler Jim
Tippler

Post by Big oiler Jim » Fri May 25, 2018 3:09 am

Big oiler Jim wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 3:08 am
Jim wrote:

I think they do make vodka from it Jim; and I know that the Irish are famos for there 70%+ moonshine called Poitín (only ever drank this stuff once though)
But I am confuesd by you link, what are you sopposed to do with it and how dose it change starch into sugar?

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Fri May 25, 2018 8:38 am

Big oiler Jim wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 3:08 am
Jim wrote:

I think they do make vodka from it Jim; and I know that the Irish are famos for there 70%+ moonshine called Poitín
I'm not sure how you use it, but I would have thought that when you mash up your ingredients, you just add it to the mix.

As for how it does it, without going too far into the technical details it breaks down the starch molecules into smaller pieces, and those pieces happen to be sugars. The same thing happens in a beer mash, where naturally occurring amylase in the malt breaks down the starch in the grains.

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

Big oiler Jim
Tippler

Post by Big oiler Jim » Sat May 26, 2018 2:21 am

Jim wrote:
As for how it does it, without going too far into the technical details it breaks down the starch molecules into smaller pieces, and those pieces happen to be sugars. The same thing happens in a beer mash, where naturally occurring amylase in the malt breaks down the starch in the grains.
So what your saying is you just add it to the potato and in time it will turn the starch into sugar with nothing ells, do you know how long it takes?

Somewhere on the net last night I was reading that tomatos have starch in them, could also add to my carton of tomato juice as well

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Sat May 26, 2018 9:11 am

Big oiler Jim wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 2:21 am
Jim wrote:
So what your saying is you just add it to the potato and in time it will turn the starch into sugar with nothing ells, do you know how long it takes?

Somewhere on the net last night I was reading that tomatos have starch in them, could also add to my carton of tomato juice as well
I'm sure there'll be instructions on there, but I've never used the stuff myself.

Tomatoes? Seems doubtful to me that they'd produce anything worth drinking, but the only way to know for sure is to try it.

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

Crastney
Steady Drinker

Post by Crastney » Thu May 31, 2018 2:43 pm

tomato wine has been done... it wasn't great by all accounts. passable, but not great. Bloke on the other forum (craft brewing forum) by the name of Moley. Met him a few times at The Home Brew Festivals. nice bloke.

Big oiler Jim
Tippler

Post by Big oiler Jim » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:41 pm

Jim wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 9:11 am
Big oiler Jim wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 2:21 am
Jim wrote:

I'm sure there'll be instructions on there, but I've never used the stuff myself.

Tomatoes? Seems doubtful to me that they'd produce anything worth drinking, but the only way to know for sure is to try it.
Do you know if you can buy that stuff in the shops instead of having it delivered by any chance?

Thanks
BOJ

Normski
Under the Table

Post by Normski » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:36 pm

The effort you are going to have to go to, to get a small amount of nasty tasting wine.
Why not try it 1st with sugar, it'll taste better than potato, but still taste nasty.
Unless you are then going to distill it, I wouldn’t bother.
The Doghouse Brewery (UK)

MarkA
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by MarkA » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:42 pm

I made potato wine a year or so back and have only just finished drinking it. It was a nice wine but I really don't think the potatoes added anything (unlike carrot or parsnip wine using the same recipe). The recipe had wheat in it and, having made wheat wine in the past (and really liking it), it tasted very similar so I will just stick with that as it's easier!

scotsloon
Piss Artist

Post by scotsloon » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:21 pm

A better option to potato wine is Rice and Raisin, that makes a surprisingly good wine.

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:18 pm

sweet potato has lots of amylase in it doesn't it? I wonder if that would make a decent wine, mashing it as you would with grain :)

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:35 pm

ISTR The Alaskan Bootlegger's Bible has a recipe for potato wine. With parsnips and carrots, freezing, or maybe just a fridge, will get some of the starch converted to sugar.