Crossmyloof yeast

Discuss all aspects of fermentation
m_rawdin
Piss Artist

Re: Crossmyloof yeast

Post by m_rawdin » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:05 pm

BeerCat wrote:I have done around 10 brews with the US pale ale and i really like it. Ferments in a few days and after 2 weeks in the FV its pretty clear. Works well in a dry stout or BIPA and their kolsch yeast is very good as well. I do have liquid yeast in the fridge but found myself using this instead.
I ordered a few different yeasts along with some hops yesterday so I'll see what they're like but reviews seem to be good. Very cheap too when you compare with safale etc.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/341609746264187/

Fermenting: Nothing
Conditioning: Smoked porter
Drinking: Cider, witbier, brown ale, Milk stout
Planning: Gamma Ray clone v3

m_rawdin
Piss Artist

Post by m_rawdin » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:37 pm

It's my first time using Cross my loof yeast today, pitched my US Pale Ale yeast a few hours ago and it's already going going great guns. So far so impressed.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/341609746264187/

Fermenting: Nothing
Conditioning: Smoked porter
Drinking: Cider, witbier, brown ale, Milk stout
Planning: Gamma Ray clone v3

Kingfisher4
Hollow Legs

Post by Kingfisher4 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:42 am

As a newbie who has just jumped in at the deep end, all grain with grainfather, with my 2nd ever batch in the FV now, I have been really impressed with the rapidity and vigour of the primary ferment with Crossmyloof yeast.

The fear of stuck ferments, poor attenuation and other woes due to the yeast at least seem to have been banished so far. I appreciate that I have no comparator but the performance has matched the low cost and fantastic customer service so I'm very likely to stick with them for the vast majority of my brews for the foreseeable future.

Thanks to Steven, Tom and the crew at CML for making at least one of the many variables easy and reliable so far.

Jambo
Hollow Legs

Post by Jambo » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:18 pm

Yes I agree, I have found it is pretty decent stuff so far. The cost and hassle factor versus liquid yeast is much less.

Like many brewers I expect, I made a switch from kits with dried yeast to all grain with liquid yeast and temperature control all at pretty much the same time, so maybe attributed too much of the improvement to liquid yeast.

wolfenrook
Piss Artist

Post by wolfenrook » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:22 pm

Cost and performance are excellent with most CML yeasts, flavour however is sometimes a different story.

Using the real ale yeast I started noticing a "Belgian" taint to my beers, which just didn't seem right for the styles, possibly it doesn't like been fermented at room temperature (20 degrees C). So tried out Mangrove Jack's M36 Liberty Bell, just as quick, even more vigorous, and a nicer (imho) flavour profile in the finished product with no "Belgian" taint.

Oh and when I tried their Saison yeast it under-attenuated big time. I got a much better, drier, result with (stuck record...) Mangrove Jack's M29. Both tasted good though, the M29 added a touch more lemon to the flavour profile though, which given I used nearly an entire jar of Scottish heather honey in it made for a delightful honey and lemon after-taste. =P~

I can't yet compare anything with the US Pale Ale yeast, as only tried the CML stuff. Does seem to be a bit sour though, so probably going to give US-05 a try at some point for comparisons sake.

Their Kristallweisen is spot on though, so long as you like your wheat beer to clear to crystal clarity. After 2 weeks in the bottle my Witbier (yeah, talk about a hybrid... lol) had a lovely banana aroma and flavour to it.

If you have only tried CML dried yeasts, do yourself a favour and try some others so you can compare. No need to go for liquids, just try some different dried yeasts. If the CML comes tops for you, all good, but if you don't try you'll never know. :wink:

Kingfisher4
Hollow Legs

Post by Kingfisher4 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:14 pm

Many thanks to Wolfenrook. The suggestions and advice are much appreciated, I have invested in several Mangrove Jack’s dried yeast packets yesterday, as advised, in preparation for my next few brews.

I will, indeed, plan to brew the same recipe, but ferment with different yeasts and taste the same recipes side-by-side with the Mangrove Jacks and crossmyloof yeasts over the next few months to see which I and friends prefer.

The Liberty Bell (M39), New World Strong (M42) and Empire (M15) seem most likely to be useful for the sort of beers I plan to start with in the early batches. Looking forward to experimenting.

Jambo
Hollow Legs

Post by Jambo » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:14 pm

Kingfisher4 wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:14 pm
I will, indeed, plan to brew the same recipe, but ferment with different yeasts and taste the same recipes side-by-side with the Mangrove Jacks and crossmyloof yeasts over the next few months to see which I and friends prefer.
Are you going to split the same batch of wort into multiple FVs? I plan to try this one day when I can be arsed...

I feel there are too many variables otherwise, ageing being just one.

Kingfisher4
Hollow Legs

Post by Kingfisher4 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:06 pm

Your point is well-made, I agree that splitting a batch and changing the yeast as the only variable would be ideal. I might do that in the future, when I have multiple fermenting vessels.

For now, If I brew the same recipe at a later date and keep notes of the time since brewing and compare tastes at like for like timing, that should allow me to decide whether the extra cost of mangrove jacks is easily justifiable on subjective nonscientific taste grounds, Assuming fermentation performance is otherwise similar.

wolfenrook
Piss Artist

Post by wolfenrook » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:08 pm

I have OneNote on my phone and desktop PC, which I use for 90% of my brewing and tasting notes. It syncs across both, so I can make a note on the one, and there it is on the other. :wink:

It's not all doom and gloom with the CML yeasts by any means by the way. The Belgian ale yeast has so far produced a rather delicious Patersbier. I really enjoyed the Witbier I made with their Kristallweizen yeast too but my word did it clear! Lived up to the name of the yeast for sure, eventually giving me a nice clear wheat beer with plenty of banana esters. :lol: I'd use both again, except my wife hated the banana from the wheat beer, so if I do another wheat it'll have to either be done US style with neutral yeast, or made with either a Saison yeast or Safbrew T58.

The Saison De Lille didn't taste bad, it just didn't attenuate as well as I would have hoped. Fermenting warmer may well fix this.

It's just the US Pale Ale and the Real Ale yeasts I'm not so keen on. I need to retry the US Pale though, as only used it the once so other factors could have impacted the flavour.

I haven't had a BAD beer with any of the ones I've tried so far though, just I prefer the results from MJ yeasts. But then, I'm finding that I am not keen on the flavour added by Crystal malt either strangely.

Jambo
Hollow Legs

Post by Jambo » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:30 am

Got a batch of Old Peculiar clone on the go at the moment using CML's Real Ale yeast. An odd criticism perhaps but I feel this yeast is unacceptably vigorous!! I expect a Belgian wit yeast to be leaping out of the fermenter (especially at wit fermentation temperatures with wheat in the grain bill) but should an English Ale yeast really do this? I don't like the cleanup it creates. Perhaps should only pitch half a pack next time!?

The real proof will be in the taste of course.

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:21 am

Some of the more interesting english yeast strains can certainly need taming - flocculating and floating like mad. This doesn't necessarily mean the yeast strain is a good one, and of course pitching rate and temperature etc are also factors in the initial vigour, but IMO it doesn't inherently mean there is a problem either.
Kev

Jambo
Hollow Legs

Post by Jambo » Thu May 24, 2018 10:11 pm

Jambo wrote:Got a batch of Old Peculiar clone on the go at the moment using CML's Real Ale yeast. An odd criticism perhaps but I feel this yeast is unacceptably vigorous!! I expect a Belgian wit yeast to be leaping out of the fermenter (especially at wit fermentation temperatures with wheat in the grain bill) but should an English Ale yeast really do this? I don't like the cleanup it creates. Perhaps should only pitch half a pack next time!?

Well I'm really not happy with this.

Huge banana taste - like those foam banana sweets! It was fermented at a controlled 18 degC and I shit you not the banana taste is stronger than when I've fermented a Hefe with a WLP300 at 24 degC.

I don't know what this is but it isn't an English Ale yeast.

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Manngold » Thu May 24, 2018 10:15 pm

Jambo wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 10:11 pm
Jambo wrote:Got a batch of Old Peculiar clone on the go at the moment using CML's Real Ale yeast. An odd criticism perhaps but I feel this yeast is unacceptably vigorous!! I expect a Belgian wit yeast to be leaping out of the fermenter (especially at wit fermentation temperatures with wheat in the grain bill) but should an English Ale yeast really do this? I don't like the cleanup it creates. Perhaps should only pitch half a pack next time!?

Huge banana taste - like those foam banana sweets! It was fermented at a controlled 18 degC and I shit you not the banana taste is stronger than when I've fermented a Hefe with a WLP300 at 24 degC.

Are you sure you didn't use the Krystalweisen Yeast? What you are describing is exactly that Yeast.

Jambo
Hollow Legs

Post by Jambo » Thu May 24, 2018 10:20 pm

Manngold wrote:
Jambo wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 10:11 pm

Are you sure you didn't use the Krystalweisen Yeast? What you are describing is exactly that Yeast.
Thanks - I'm 100% certain that the pack said Real Ale Yeast. But maybe a cockup at the packing stage!?

charliemartin
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by charliemartin » Fri May 25, 2018 9:56 am

Doesn't sound like the real ale yeast. It is fairly vigorous, but not had any overflow with it and it certainly doesn't taste of banana.
Don't think I'll be using it again though as it seems to mute the hops too much. Used it in a few English bitters and they don't have the hop bite I was looking for, even with relatively high hop rates.
It's not bad, just not quite good enough.
Just waiting on a batch of Kolsch to finish up and got some Belgians planned so will see how these CML yeasts compare.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Altonrea Homebrew