White skim on bottled beer

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
IRONTUSK
Sober

White skim on bottled beer

Post by IRONTUSK » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:58 pm

I brewed some st peters ruby red on the 5th May and bottled on the 21st. I did notice at the time that there were some bubbles/white scum on top of fermenter but thought nothing of it...now i have just checked my bottles and they all have white stuff/scum on top.
Should I be concerned?
Can I attach pictures to posts?

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Re: White skim on bottled beer

Post by Fil » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:55 pm

hi n welcome, make 5 posts, (write a hi this is me and answer back politely to a few welcome messages , hehe) and posting images hosted on something like photobucket/flickr etc is available to ya using IMG tags..

as to the issue?? Yes, you should be concerned, generally dry white skin 'infections' are spotted in the FV, where/when the optomistic advice is to rack off from below the skin and the top cm or so and keep the digits crossed.. As its in the bottle all i can suggest is chilling the brew and opening when cold to avoid any foam up and pour with your thumb 1/2 over the mouth hoping to trap the 'skin' in the bottle and conduct a tentative taste test once its had its weeks in the warm and a few more in the cool.. fingers crossed...
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:01 pm

why bother with the taste test.. as its a skin its likely?? (btw i am no microbiologist..) to be something air born thats landed on the brew and thrived, and there are lots of things that can do that one huge group being wild yeast, and a yeast may or may not have a negative impact beyond the losses due to avoiding the 'skin' on transfer.. and you tastebuds are the most sophisticated sensors available to you..

A really likely source of your nasty could be you, especially if you spent any time stood over the open bucket looking down scratching your chin or bonce.. not that you would of course, i know you only cracked the lid and peeked in from the side when absolutely necessary ;)

fingers crossed for a tasty pint ..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

IRONTUSK
Sober

Post by IRONTUSK » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:42 pm

Cheers guys. I did have a mouth full whilst bottling and it tasted ok to me...will put some in the fridge for a few days and maybe try one at the wknd.