Beer Smith 2 - quick question

If you use Beersmith, Promash, Beer Engine, or whatever, this is the place to discuss pros, cons, tips and tricks
clockhouse
Tippler

Beer Smith 2 - quick question

Post by clockhouse » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:58 pm

Hello, I'm giving Beersmith a go on the trial version.

As I've been brewing AG from recipes a few years now, but thought it was time I started coming up with my own/having a bit of play etc.

This might sound a bit thick, but I'm a bit stuck on the type of mash to enter

my set up is a fermenting bucket with a false bottom. I generally fill up with grains and water, leave for 60mins or 90mins and then fly sparge.

But what would that be called on the drop down menu? I'm guessing something like Single Infusion, full body? (I don't increase the temp during the mash)

Thanks!

ben034
Steady Drinker

Re: Beer Smith 2 - quick question

Post by ben034 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:55 pm

You can use any of the Single Infusion profiles. Decide depending on the style of beer how much body you would like. On a stout you may want a full body beer, on a lager you may want a light body. What type of beer are you making? There's no rules on this just depends how you want the beer to turn out. On beersmith you can also adjust the mash profiling if you want something different. Have you selected an equipment profile yet / set up your own equipment profile? This will ensure the volumes are correct.

clockhouse
Tippler

Post by clockhouse » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:31 pm

that makes sense. Thanks very much for clarifying

Yes I set up my equipment profile, but then started to question myself when making a recipe and had the option to select a different mash.

I'm going for an English IPA, with a large late addition hop profile. So I'll try the full bodied and see how it turns out

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:48 am

clockhouse wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:58 pm
Hello, I'm giving Beersmith a go on the trial version.

As I've been brewing AG from recipes a few years now, but thought it was time I started coming up with my own/having a bit of play etc.

This might sound a bit thick, but I'm a bit stuck on the type of mash to enter

my set up is a fermenting bucket with a false bottom. I generally fill up with grains and water, leave for 60mins or 90mins and then fly sparge.

But what would that be called on the drop down menu? I'm guessing something like Single Infusion, full body? (I don't increase the temp during the mash)

Thanks!
The choice of "body" will just determine the mash temperature to default to in the recipe builder. You are probably better going for the bog standard "medium body" (about 67C) until confident with all the settings.

Version 3 will be available shortly. But the basic "workings" should be much the same.
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

john luc
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by john luc » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:43 pm

also on your beersmith it predicts what values out get and you should fill in the actual real value you get so that you can adjust your efficiency and so have a more accurate brew profile as you brew more beers
Deos miscendarum discipule
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie

clockhouse
Tippler

Post by clockhouse » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:13 pm

excellent advise and yes I think I'll go for the medium body on the first go!