Recovering yeast for my next batch?

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
mikew
Steady Drinker

Recovering yeast for my next batch?

Post by mikew » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:42 pm

I have a brew in my ferementor at the moment, and plan on doing another very soon. Probably in a week or so when I have time. My present brew has been I the fermenter for about 6 days now. Would appreciate some advice on how best to harvest the yeast for my next batch.

I was wondering if top cropping into a dme starter is a good idea then pitch the yeast from the starter when I'm ready?

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Re: Recovering yeast for my next batch?

Post by orlando » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:21 pm

Top cropping is a really good idea, as this yeast is the most vigorous and healthy, assuming your sanitation is up to snuff. It's best to crop on days two and three, avoiding any brown "scummy" yeast which is not desirable. You don't have to dump into DME straight away unless you have a batch planned immediately. If your fermentor is a conical then dumping the yeast from the cone dump valve is pretty good too, my method dumps the first inch or so to avoid dead yeast and any hop artifacts. If your FV is a flat bottom jobbie then that's not an option but you can just dump a fresh batch of wort on the cake after drawing off the previous Beer. First option is by far the best but be very careful with sanitation if you go into saving yeast from a brew. Better is to sterilse everything that comes into contact with the saved yeast, as it is at its most vulnearble when not in wort, so try to gather some wort for it to live under.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

orlando
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:27 pm

Top cropping is a really good idea, as this yeast is the most vigorous and healthy, assuming your sanitation is up to snuff. It's best to crop on days two and three, avoiding any brown "scummy" yeast which is not desirable. You don't have to dump into DME straight away unless you have a batch planned immediately. If your fermentor is a conical then dumping the yeast from the cone dump valve is pretty good too, my method dumps the first inch or so to avoid dead yeast and any hop artifacts. If your FV is a flat bottom jobbie then that's not an option but you can just dump a fresh batch of wort on the cake after drawing off the previous Beer. First option is by far the best but be very careful with sanitation if you go into saving yeast from a brew. Better is to sterilse everything that comes into contact with the saved yeast, as it is at its most vulnearble when not in wort, so try to gather some wort for it to live under. You don't say what the yeast is. If it is a dried yeast they are not considered as a good option for cropping. Wet yeast is but it does like to be in oxygenated wort before pitching. This helps the yeast to build its cell walls and most importantly rebuild the membranes that control what passes through them. This helps them enormously before they go dormant after a brew, something dried yeast struggles with, given it is cheap to buy I recommend you use a new packet each time.

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

mikew
Steady Drinker

Post by mikew » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:39 pm

Thanks Orlando, for an informative reply.

The yeast is a whitlabs English ale liquid yeast. So should be all good there.

I'm beyond the initial 3-4 days now would it be ok theres still a good head on the fermenter?

Are you saying if I take some of the Krausen, with a little wort and store it in a sterile container, it will be good stored like that for a short while?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

orlando

Post by orlando » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:26 pm

Yes you should still get some decent yeast at this point but I would probably want to make a stater from it to make sure I had enough vigorous cells. If you do store it for a little while I would look at at a two step starter. Say 500ml followed by 2 litres, but it would depend on how long after harvesting. Within a week a 1 litre could be enough.

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Post by Dave S » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:22 am

orlando wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:26 pm
Yes you should still get some decent yeast at this point but I would probably want to make a stater from it to make sure I had enough vigorous cells. If you do store it for a little while I would look at at a two step starter. Say 500ml followed by 2 litres, but it would depend on how long after harvesting. Within a week a 1 litre could be enough.
Another suggestion for future ref is IPA's method of taking about 500 mL from under the krausen at 36 hours into fermentation stored in a loose screw top plastic bottle. Once fermented out tighten the top but keep an eye on any build up of pressure, venting if necessary. Stored in the fridge this can last a considerable length of time. When you want to use it simply pour off the beer, drink it and make a starter with the yeast deposit. I've used this method several times with great success.
Best wishes

Dave

orlando

Post by orlando » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:04 am

Dave S wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:22 am
orlando wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:26 pm
Another suggestion for future ref is IPA's method of taking about 500 mL from under the krausen at 36 hours into fermentation stored in a loose screw top plastic bottle. Once fermented out tighten the top but keep an eye on any build up of pressure, venting if necessary. Stored in the fridge this can last a considerable length of time. When you want to use it simply pour off the beer, drink it and make a starter with the yeast deposit. I've used this method several times with great success.
Yes that is a tried and trusted method, forgot to mention that, thanks Dave.

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:36 am

For IPA's method, do you have to collect from just under the krausen?

Would it be OK to collect from the top valve on my Ss Brewtech 7 gallon chronical? Can't think of any reason why this wouldn't be OK, but others views would be appreciated.

Guy

orlando

Post by orlando » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:11 am

guypettigrew wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:36 am
For IPA's method, do you have to collect from just under the krausen?

Would it be OK to collect from the top valve on my Ss Brewtech 7 gallon chronical? Can't think of any reason why this wouldn't be OK, but others views would be appreciated.

Guy
Once you have skimmed the first layer that has the scummy bits on it, you can take the actual krausen but taking it from the port if you have one is just as good, it's just most people with plastic fermentors don't have that option.

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:14 pm

Thanks Orlando. I'll give it a go.

Guy