Saison

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Sadfield
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Saison

Post by Sadfield » Fri May 04, 2018 9:47 am

McMullan wrote:
Sadfield wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 5:08 pm
I was under the impression it was purely a back pressure issue, increasing osmotic pressure, preventing yeast functions through the cell wall. Could very well be wrong though.

‘Logic’ often misleads to erroneous conclusions. Your theory doesn’t hold true during vigorous primary fermentation, by which time the back pressure has long been promoted, if an airlock is being used. Ethanol, CO2 and lipid deficient membranes (associated with low O2?) increasingly impact the performance of yeast cells as fermentation progresses. Some strains are more sensitive to the higher CO2 levels promoted in ‘closed’ fermentations. The back pressure itself is not the issue. In fact, yeast cells are capable of maintaining their internal pressure, especially at these levels. Some even store CO2 internally under surprisingly high pressures. A cell wall, with properties described as being ‘similar to reinforced concrete’ helps too.
Ha ha, I never claimed to have used logic to hypothesise a theory. Just recounting something a read in the distant past, that was possibly erroneous.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Paddington
Piss Artist

Post by Paddington » Fri May 04, 2018 11:56 am

It’s in James Morton’s book. He describes it as a ‘finishing yeast’. I’ve found his recipes to be pretty good and I did use this last time, but reading all of these comments, I might just try without or adding some diastolic saison after a few days.

Sadfield - should have made it more clear, the erupting ferment is an IPA using WLP001.

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Fri May 04, 2018 1:00 pm

While my comments are targeted specifically to the supposed problem strain WLP565 which is particularly sensitive, an open ferment will help many yeasts along.

As McMullan says though, different strains behave in different ways, and (in my opinion) you need to select the right yeast for the job.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

wolfenrook
Piss Artist

Post by wolfenrook » Fri May 04, 2018 8:02 pm

All of this is why I keep using dried "French Saison" yeasts.... They never stall, and always hit 1.003 down to 1.000 just from fermenting at 26 degrees C. lol

lord.president
Hollow Legs

Post by lord.president » Fri May 11, 2018 8:07 am

Use WYeast 3711. It’ll chew through lead. Finished 1.002 every time lve used it. I ferment everything with the lid loose for the first few days.
Getting Carlisle United into the First Division,is possibly the greatest football achievement of all time-Bill Shankly

Paddington
Piss Artist

Post by Paddington » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:25 pm

An update on this for what it’s worth. I raised this over about five days to 30 degrees and it has bubbled like crazy until the last day or two. I’ve just taken a reading which is 1.002. I can’t see the point of adding any champagne yeast...

Paddington
Piss Artist

Post by Paddington » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:28 pm

Oh, and as I always do, I tried the sample I took and it is very pleasant. I have recently improved my mash efficiency, so I have gone over one end and under the other end and I’m looking at an unexpected ABV of 8.5% plus.