Variable Temperatures in Keezer and How to Solve

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
grahamotter
Steady Drinker

Variable Temperatures in Keezer and How to Solve

Post by grahamotter » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:03 pm

Hi folks,

So I've recently done my keezer and had some great beers from it. Trouble is my inkbird control unit reads a totally different temperature at the top of the Keezer to the bottom of the Keezer and because of this my lagers have frozen when the keg gets low. How do I get the temperature all around the Keezer to be stable? I've heard about fitting a small fan in there would help circulate cold air better. Would a small USB fan work?

Kind regards,

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Re: Variable Temperatures in Keezer and How to Solve

Post by orlando » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:00 pm

Small fan works. Another suggestion is to get a demi-john, fill with water drill a hole in a bung and dangle your probe in that. This should provide the Inkbird with the temperature of what is in the keg.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

grahamotter
Steady Drinker

Post by grahamotter » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:14 pm

Ah yes, that's a good idea. But would that not only read the temperature lower down due to the height of the demijohn and not level the temperature in the whole Keezer? I've currently got my probe attached to the side of a 2 litre bottle filled with water (probe pointing away from the bottle so to read air and not the bottle temperature)

I've got another temperature probe in a different place in the keezer so I can see the variance in temperature from top to bottom and there's about 2 degree C difference

orlando
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:19 pm

Fan sorts out the eveness and I sit the demi-john on the compressor shelf, keeps it mid height. The biggest problem I have in the Summer is condensation. Currently deal with it with rechargeable dehumidifiers and a towel. Need a mains wired dehumidifier

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

grahamotter
Steady Drinker

Post by grahamotter » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:28 pm

OK that's a good call. I'll see if I can fit the DJ on there then. I've got 5 cornies in the Keezer that only just fit when they're all in but have a few pockets of space here on there to fit a 2 litre bottle but hopefully may fit a DJ filled with water in. Will try once I've got them all filled with the refreshing juice of the Gods!

Thanks for your help, much appreciated

orlando

Post by orlando » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:36 pm

You're welcome.

Fermenting:
Conditioning: