AMS - 6 month 'use by date'

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
floydmeddler
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

AMS - 6 month 'use by date'

Post by floydmeddler » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:38 am

Hey folks,

Bought some AMS from The Maltmiller. I accidentally bought 2x500ml bottles instead of 1. I thought, no big deal. It'll all get used eventually. Then I noticed that it needs to be used within 6 months. Anyone else surprised by this? Didn't think an acid blend would go out of date.

Thoughts please!

Cheers,
Floyd

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Re: AMS - 6 month 'use by date'

Post by Robwalkeragain » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:45 am

Can't speak for AMS specifically but it's generally the half life of the chemicals included, if you're using a pH meter just add enough to account for any changes

Eric
Even further under the Table

Post by Eric » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:15 pm

AMS will last years provided it is sealed and kept in a cool safe place, it's a mix of sulphuric and hydrochloric acids.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

simple one
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by simple one » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:06 pm

Alkalinity test before.

Use acid that was bought years ago and has sat in the shed.

Alkalinity test after.

Double thumbs up, brew on.

Carnot
Piss Artist

Post by Carnot » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:33 pm

No need to panic. It will see you out as long as the container is not comprimised, which is unlikely. The only weak point is the seal in the cap. I have sulphuric acid that is 20 years old and is good as the day it was bottled.
Putting a use by date on a mineral acid is is a marketing ploy.

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:58 pm

As above, really. Kept closed, mine has sometimes lasted for years before it was finished - no need to waste it, IMO. Besides, if you check alkalinity before and after treatment (which is good practice anyway) then you'll know if it is working as expected and won't have to assume.

Presumably the manufacturers put some kind of date on to cover themselves against a range of conceivable possibilities or complaints in the future. But as a homebrewer, I personally wouldn't worry whilst it works as it should.
Kev

themadhippy

Post by themadhippy » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:18 pm

Presumably the manufacturers put some kind of date on to cover themselves against a range of conceivable possibilities or complaints in the future
just like bottled water,filtered through rocks for 5000 years,best before sept 2018
Warning: The Dutch Coffeeshops products may contain drugs. Drinks containing caffeine should be used with care and moderation

Eric

Post by Eric » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:35 pm

Those dates are usually a requirement by the Food Standards Agency and the probable reason for a date to be included might be because CRS/AMS is certified as food safe, although without any of the dangers to which most food items are vunerable.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.