Fermentation -holiday problem

Discuss all aspects of fermentation
clockhouse
Tippler

Fermentation -holiday problem

Post by clockhouse » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:41 pm

Hello

Here's my current problem I'm mulling over

Im currently making a fruit beer, but my timings are going to be off.

Its in the FV in the fridge at the moment, but I'm not going to get time to bottle it before going on holiday for 2 weeks.

I'm pretty sure it will have finished fermenting, but it needs time to dry hop and also time for the raspberries to do their thing. (the recipe calls for 2 weeks in the FV before bottling, I'm going to be a few days shy of that)

I don't think leaving it in the FV whilst I'm on hols is going to be the best idea, as that will mean its been in there for 4 weeks and perhaps the raspberries will go a bit bad?

So, is it a wise idea to syphon it into another bucket (leaving behind all the trub) and leave that for 2 weeks in the fridge and then bottle? is that the same principal of a brite tank right?

So it would be 10 days in the FV, then just over 2 weeks in the new bucket (brite tank) and then bottle and carbonation.

Or... should I just bottle it after 10 days and have less time for dry hop/raspberry addition?

I'm not sure whats best

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Re: Fermentation -holiday problem

Post by Robwalkeragain » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:04 am

Bright tanks are full of co2. If you have a way to put it in a co2 filled atmosphere with pressure relief, that's ideal.
If you dry hop and fruit after 5 days fermentation, then the remaining 5 should be sufficient to extract enough flavour.

clockhouse
Tippler

Post by clockhouse » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:25 am

ok cool. Thanks for the 2nd opinion. I think I'll just do the shorter time and bottle it!

FermentedCulture2
Sober

Post by FermentedCulture2 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:05 pm

As long as you have a way of keeping the fruit separate from the beer before bottling there should be no problems.