Mosaic Pale Ale.

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
Kingfisher4
Hollow Legs

Re: Mosaic Pale Ale.

Post by Kingfisher4 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:51 pm

HairyJamie wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:24 pm
The Greg Hughes single hop Amarillo is fantastic, I've brewed this a few times :)

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
Added to the list of next brews, thanks.

wolfenrook
Piss Artist

Post by wolfenrook » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:54 pm

I'll be honest, every time I start out intending to brew one, I end up tweaking them. This time for example I was just going to switch out the Amarillo for Mosaic... Then I massively increased the quantities used at flameout, ooh and added a dry hop... Then just a little tweak to the grist to a) use up the last of some IREKS pale ale malt I STILL had left over and add a bit of that Munich malt I enjoy the taste of so much.... lmao

I did however brew his Patersbier straight, and it was delicious! It's next on my list in fact for a re-brew, but with a better yeast this time (Mangrove Jack's M41 Belgian Ale rather than the CML Belgian I used last time around).

I know, I'm a total hypocrite, I just like to contradict the "just use Magnum" thing. For me it's a simple case of if I did, I'd then be left with 23g of hops to put back into the freezer. It's just less bother to use the whole 100g packet, than have my wife complain about how much space I am using in the freezer with both the 23g of Mosaic still left, AND all that Magnum in there left from the rest of that packet too.... lmao It's a different matter though with hops that taste nasty when used to bitter, then Magnum gets used quite happily... lol

Of course, I still have 100g of Mosaic whole hops, and 50g of Mosaic pellets in there..... (the mosaic whole hops were on sale, so bought 200g, but pellets seem to give a better punch when you dry hop so bought 100g of them too.......... tum te tum.... lol) Yeah, I have a Mosaic addiction... I want some Galaxy, or maybe Citra, and some cooler weather before I use it though....

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:56 am

Same as kingfisher, don't underestimate the single hop EKG. I did it using St.Austel yeast, one of my best beers to date.

j444fog
Steady Drinker

Post by j444fog » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:43 pm

Galaxy is on my list of single hop to try. I think golden hen is predominantly galaxy? And that's a lovely pint!

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:50 pm

Galaxy is one hop I've not brewed at all with yet. It seems to be a popular one, just not bought any.

wolfenrook
Piss Artist

Post by wolfenrook » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:10 am

It's supposed to complement mosaic very well, as is Citra. I've only really tried Amarillo before now with it, and it's just the usual grapefruit, which is nice but gets a bit boring.

I've not bought Galaxy yet either. I started all grain brewing the same year the Galaxy crop got bought up by a certain macro brewery.... lol

Beer O'Clock
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Beer O'Clock » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:17 pm

Galaxy in a single hop ale is great. But as with all things brewing, it can be improved upon. After getting the basic flavour profile, I started adding various combinations of either Motueka, NZ Cascade, Rakau and/or Wai-iti.

All different = all good.
I buy from The Malt Miller

There's Howard Hughes in blue suede shoes, smiling at the majorettes smoking Winston cigarettes. .

wolfenrook
Piss Artist

Post by wolfenrook » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:42 am

Beer O'Clock wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:17 pm
Galaxy in a single hop ale is great. But as with all things brewing, it can be improved upon. After getting the basic flavour profile, I started adding various combinations of either Motueka, NZ Cascade, Rakau and/or Wai-iti.

All different = all good.
Much like mosaic then. I absolutely adore mosaic, and in a single hop IPA (turns out mine is a DIPA apparently though as it's over 7% ABV... lol) it has the complexity to carry the beer all on it's own. However it went very well in a Saison with Amarillo too, as I mentioned though the grapefruit from the Amarillo tends to become the main flavour you get and detracts from the Mosaic, hence I want to try it with Citra and Galaxy. :wink:

Mosaic however still remains my favourite hop, thanks to it's complexity of flavour and the fact that it's not even slightly Fuggles in flavour... :lol: