Sulphuric acid - change to the law

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Sulphuric acid - change to the law

Post by Kev888 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:07 pm

I wasn't aware until someone (much more informed than myself) mentioned this change: the strength of sulphuric acid that members of the public can possess (not just buy) without a special licence has recently been reduced to 15%w/w.

So what could have been quite legitimately purchased some months (or years) back, may now be stronger than is permitted to have. Apparently, risking potential imprisonment and fines - see EPP Licence

I know most people that adjust the water's alkalinity use less restricted acids like hydrochloric, or (more commonly) weak AMS/CRS. But thought it worth passing on, lest anyone may have and want to dilute their sulphuric or get a licence.
Kev

Jim
Site Admin

Re: Sulphuric acid - change to the law

Post by Jim » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:34 am

I've heard this as well. All to do with acid attacks I assume.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Post by Dave S » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:56 am

Jim wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:34 am
I've heard this as well. All to do with acid attacks I assume.
Yes, though why they think Sulphuric is bad but Hydrochloric is OK is anyone's guess.
Best wishes

Dave

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:50 am

Yes, you're probably right. IIRC sulphuric acid can be used in the making of nitro-glycerine, but the horrible acid attacks are certainly what have raised its profile recently. I have to wonder if people willing to commit such terrible atrocities would actually be fazed by this, or just law abiding users - such as home-brewers with uncooperative tap water, who (unlike the criminals) can't use millions of alternatives. But either way, it has happened whether we approve or not.

The small amount of sulphuric acid I had is now diluted to well below the 15% strength. I don't think I'll be getting any more, especially as any more/future restrictions may be similarly retrospective. But then I'm lucky enough that low-level CRS (or at a push, just hydrochloric) is suitable with my tap water, so that will suffice for now.

What the future holds for acids in general, who knows. Though there is always RO or perhaps certain bottled water to fall back on if necessary. It might even encourage a resurgence of darker beers. If people can recall them and our brewing heritage anyway, in the face of the pale american-style influx!
Kev