Bittering Hop Rhizome Recommendation

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Bittering Hop Rhizome Recommendation

Post by Meatymc » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:21 pm

I'm currently growing Cascade, Fuggles, Northdown, First Gold (Prima Donna), Santium and Styrian Goldings. I have space for only 1 final variety and feel I'm short of an out-and-out bittering hop.

Seen loads of comments here and elsewhere with a lot said about Magnum but with strong representation for Warrior, Chinook, Galena and Nugget - and of course every other hop under the sun. These seem to be available in the UK as rhizomes with the possible exception of Warrior - not seen that so far.

I'm in North Yorkshire and on a heavy clay soil although I'm moving all my plants (I know - will no doubt result in a poor crop next year probably) into a newly created trench which I'm going to try and fill with a sandy loam mix. This area will also be used for growing veg and whilst I'll make sure that doesn't include the worse ones for mildew (peas etc) a bittering hop with a reasonable resilience would be sensible.

I mainly brew IPA's, APA's, Bitters and Porters but branch out now and again - my next brew will be my 40th all grain brew and I've tried most styles during that time. I suppose therefore it needs to be something that happily does the job without overly imparting flavour - this seems the reason why most go for Magnum.

As usual - all suggestions welcome.

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Re: Bittering Hop Rhizome Recommendation

Post by Robwalkeragain » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:16 pm

I suppose the issue is knowing the aa% and calculating IBUs based on that. Plus bittering hops are cheap as chips - but I would recommend Admiral myself, high aa% and assertive bitterness, excellent storage, but also very nice as an aroma or dry hop particularly for big English IPAs.

HTH1975
Piss Artist

Post by HTH1975 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:07 am

Challenger - good bittering potential and also nice for aroma if you want to use it that way. Makes a great ESB.

Kingfisher4
Hollow Legs

Post by Kingfisher4 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:11 pm

Challenger would be my choice too, if ever I venture into hop cultivation it would certainly be on the list.