Demise of Hop and Grape

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Cheesey
Steady Drinker

Re: Demise of Hop and Grape

Post by Cheesey » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:22 pm

Cheers Jim,

Very sad time, especially in Darlo, M&S closes today, Bins is scheduled to close, but depends on new owner Mad Mike. Even the town centre Mac Donald’s has shut. What hope a small independent business.

C
Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. W.C Fields

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:52 pm

Jim wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:03 pm
Cheesey wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:42 pm
When I saw Kev earlier in the year he told me trading in the first quarter had been very poor. Seems no one wanted to brew in the cold weather.
Local rumour ha sit he will be setting up a Mirco brew pub.

Now the important bit, as a local Darlo resident I got all my ingredients from H&G. Can anyone recommend a good on line shop for grain, yeast, hops etc

Ta

C
Malt Miller - reliable and fast.
I'm like you cheesey - relied totally on H&G. Tried a place in Leeds (cos I work there) and no comparison - still waiting for them to get back to me on a query I made 4 weeks ago.

I've gone to the Malt Miller. Had some queries which Kyle at MM dealt with very efficiently. Then set up an account and ordered on line. My only quibble was I ordered on Wednesday for delivery today yet started getting confirmations saying would arrive Thursday. Apparently it's a niggle in their system. Sat waiting for my 1st delivery from them due here by 2.20pm. Assuming it arrives as promised I can't fault them.

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:07 pm

And here it is - all present and correct!

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:52 pm

Meatymc wrote:
Jim wrote:
Cheesey wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:42 pm
When I saw Kev earlier in the year he told me trading in the first quarter had been very poor. Seems no one wanted to brew in the cold weather.
Local rumour ha sit he will be setting up a Mirco brew pub.

Now the important bit, as a local Darlo resident I got all my ingredients from H&G. Can anyone recommend a good on line shop for grain, yeast, hops etc

Ta

C
I'm like you cheesey - relied totally on H&G. Tried a place in Leeds (cos I work there) and no comparison - still waiting for them to get back to me on a query I made 4 weeks ago.

I've gone to the Malt Miller. Had some queries which Kyle at MM dealt with very efficiently. Then set up an account and ordered on line. My only quibble was I ordered on Wednesday for delivery today yet started getting confirmations saying would arrive Thursday. Apparently it's a niggle in their system. Sat waiting for my 1st delivery from them due here by 2.20pm. Assuming it arrives as promised I can't fault them.

I had the same issue, conflicting information from DPD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

FUBAR
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by FUBAR » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:49 pm

LeeH wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:52 pm
Meatymc wrote:
Jim wrote:

I had the same issue, conflicting information from DPD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yeah,I had something similar but it turns out that it was an automated DPD message system causing the confusion.Regardless you cant fault the malt miller for service and it does exactly like "it says on the tin" if you order before 12 noon it will be delivered the next day,and DPD are a cut above other couriers in performance and service .
I buy my grain & hops from here http://www.homebrewkent.co.uk/

I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me - Winston Churchill

Kingfisher4
Hollow Legs

Post by Kingfisher4 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:24 am

Kingfisher4 wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:27 am
I don’t have a LHBS anywhere near, so it is Internet orders for me, with some excellent and some not so good service so far over the last year.

This thread made me reflect, although slightly more expensive, particularly with the delivery: recommendations on the forum, advice over the phone and range and quality of products has prompted my first MaltMiller order this morning.

On the use it or lose it principle, I would hate to be complacent and regret not having supported Rob.
Update: 1st order duly completed, delivered next day by DPD exactly as requested, their auto notifications can be confusing but they deliver reliably, on schedule and where expected. Delighted with MM service and quality as expected! :D

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:24 am

All I've got to work out now is why the hell I ordered roasted wheat instead of pale :shock:

Adding 100g (for head retention) of roasted at 950 might just affect how my IPA's come out!

Think there may well be another new post from me soon to see what I can do with it - maybe I can use it for a porter/stout?

Horden Hillbilly

Post by Horden Hillbilly » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:26 pm

Latest from their facebook page:

We are gradually reintroducing a selection of grains back to the website for customers . We are also updating the site to enable an easier way to “checkout” via PayPal
Thanks for your patience over the last month while we have been getting used to the site and how it can best serve all our new Brewers.

https://www.hopandgrape.co.uk/beer/beer ... rains.html

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:48 am

Well I'm happy to wish them all the very best for the future but suspect many previous H&G customers, including me, have moved on. Will certainly keep an eye on developments but it will have to be something special and/or unique for me to switch back now I've dealt with MM.

wolfenrook
Piss Artist

Post by wolfenrook » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:01 am

Kingfisher4 wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:24 am
Update: 1st order duly completed, delivered next day by DPD exactly as requested, their auto notifications can be confusing but they deliver reliably, on schedule and where expected. Delighted with MM service and quality as expected! :D
If you have an Android phone (possibly available for iPhone too, I wouldn't know), and aren't super paranoid about privacy, install the YourDPD app. You can literally track the DPD van on it's rounds when it has your package in the back, it's that accurate, totally avoiding any confusion with notification emails. Very handy for been stood ready to open the front door just as the driver walks up to it. :twisted:

App uses your email address, so any order that's shipped that has your email address associated with it will appear on there.

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Post by Dave S » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:29 pm

Horden Hillbilly wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:26 pm
Latest from their facebook page:

We are gradually reintroducing a selection of grains back to the website for customers . We are also updating the site to enable an easier way to “checkout” via PayPal
Thanks for your patience over the last month while we have been getting used to the site and how it can best serve all our new Brewers.

https://www.hopandgrape.co.uk/beer/beer ... rains.html
I'd hazard a guess that he is realising that catering only for the kit trade was a bad move. There were a lot of advanced grain brewers who used H&G who will almost certainly have stopped buying from them once he took grain off the menu.
Best wishes

Dave

Skittlebrau
Sober

Post by Skittlebrau » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:27 pm

This is a shame, some of my first bits of kit were bought from H&G.

privatewiddle
Tippler

Post by privatewiddle » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:35 pm

The website is still up, are Hop & Grape back?
https://www.hopandgrape.co.uk/

Kingfisher4
Hollow Legs

Post by Kingfisher4 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:09 pm

wolfenrook wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:01 am
Kingfisher4 wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:24 am
If you have an Android phone (possibly available for iPhone too, I wouldn't know), and aren't super paranoid about privacy, install the YourDPD app. You can literally track the DPD van on it's rounds when it has your package in the back, it's that accurate, totally avoiding any confusion with notification emails. Very handy for been stood ready to open the front door just as the driver walks up to it. :twisted:

App uses your email address, so any order that's shipped that has your email address associated with it will appear on there.
The app is indeed available on the iPhone, works a treat.

alix101
Under the Table

Post by alix101 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:23 pm

privatewiddle wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:35 pm
The website is still up, are Hop & Grape back?
https://www.hopandgrape.co.uk/
Looks like the Jolly Brewer now has the Website, they are based in Stoke...
Don't think the hop and grape will be back...
"Everybody should belive in something : and I belive I'll have another drink".