Insulation for beer fridge

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
StrontiumDog
Piss Artist

Insulation for beer fridge

Post by StrontiumDog » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:42 pm

Afternoon

I'm in the process of building a kegerator and I could do with some ideas for re-insulating this massive gap where my gas lines come in. Common sense says expanding foam but as the fridge is a second hand freecycle I'd like to be able to rescue and reuse the JG fittings when it inevitably dies!

Any ideas of what I can stuff it with that can be easily removed so I can take out the fittings?

FYI, the top hole will have another bulkhead fitting when it arrives

Cheers allImage

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Re: Insulation for beer fridge

Post by Dave S » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:51 pm

The only thing that springs to mind is a bit of fibre glass wool held in place by wide adhesive tape. If you go to B&Q you could probably scavenge enough for that off an opened roll. You only narrowly missed hitting a pipe there eh.
Best wishes

Dave

irv
Steady Drinker

Post by irv » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:18 pm

polystyrene foam cut to size.
a bit of celotex
a bit of camping mat.

i dont think you need to worry too much about it. patch it with gaffer tape

gobuchul
Steady Drinker

Post by gobuchul » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:24 pm

I could do with some ideas for re-insulating this massive gap where my gas lines come in.
It may be a little late for this build but why didn't you just make a smaller opening, pass the gas lines through and either leave the fittings outside or just inside? You could of then just sacrificed a length of gas line?

StrontiumDog
Piss Artist

Post by StrontiumDog » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:13 pm

Thanks for the replies all.

Yes, very close to the cable lol, pretty lucky I didn't break anything!

I was going to just drill the whole the right size and feed line through. Makes more sense, but I thought I'd try and keep it looking tidy plus it's easier to disconnect and move around. Mainly it's for neatness on the outside

Wet Spaniel
Steady Drinker

Post by Wet Spaniel » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:37 pm

Strontium dog - did you get sorted with your insulation? I have some off cuts of 25mm celotex left over from insulation a shed, I could send you a small piece if still needed

StrontiumDog
Piss Artist

Post by StrontiumDog » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:57 pm

Wet Spaniel wrote:Strontium dog - did you get sorted with your insulation? I have some off cuts of 25mm celotex left over from insulation a shed, I could send you a small piece if still needed
@Wet Spaniel: I have kind of got it sorted, I used something similar (found a square of insulation foam and molded it with a knife) then just wedged it in. Figured it would be fine for what I need :-) really appreciate the offer though