idea for mash tun

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
brewjohn
Piss Artist

idea for mash tun

Post by brewjohn » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:13 am

Just knocked together a heated fermenting cupboard from chip board and polystyrene sheet . in the bottom I installed a 60 w 12 " tublar heater. I wondered if I could fit my mash tun in ,stick the PTC sensor in the middle of mash and put the temperature up to 66C or so on the ATC800 ?. When the mash is finished and in the boiler put the temperature back to 18c and fit the fermenting bin back in . Does any one do anything like this.

John Brown

LeeH
Under the Table

Re: idea for mash tun

Post by LeeH » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:21 am

Will the mash be up to temp before you put it in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

lord groan
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by lord groan » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:40 am

I did a similar thing years back but only used it as a fermentation cupboard, I used a central heating stat to turn a brewbelt off and on. Not great at controlling exact temp, but did keep the fermenter at a steady temp so fermentation time dropped from 2+ weeks to 3-4 days, flavour was better too.
Since going all grain I've tried a few solutions aned ended up with one of these igloo jobs
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Igloo-Indust ... SwwKxbqSzw
I replaced the tap and drilled a hole in the empty hollow lid and injected builders foam. The body is already really well insulated. Last weekend I brewed, I prewarmed the igloo for 20 minutes with water from the hlt then mashed at 66c , an emergency came up so my planned 1 hr mash ended up as a 5hr mash sadly, but the temp after 5hrs was 63c so I have never felt the need to have external temp control on my mash
hth

brewjohn
Piss Artist

Post by brewjohn » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:49 pm

yes the mash will be up to temperature when I put it in the cupboard. Its just a way of keeping it steady in winter as the mashing takes place in a unheated garage. I might even put the transmitter in for my remote weather station so I can get a rough idea of temp from the house.