Yeast harvest with unitank

Discuss all aspects of fermentation
Rankin_leigh
Steady Drinker

Yeast harvest with unitank

Post by Rankin_leigh » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:25 pm

Hi all.
Been brewing for several years. But hadn't joined any forums before.

I've got a fermentasaurus and have been using it for quite a while now to naturally carbonate beers during fermentation. I've never bothered reusing yeast or even creating starters before. But the lovely wife has just got me a stir plate so I can start :D

In case you haven't seen/used fermentasaurus, it has a 500ml collection bottle for yeast storage. I had assumed the idea was simple... once the bottle is filled with good yeast (no trub), stick the lid on and put it in the fridge until needed (and then use a second bottle to carry on letting things drop out.
However when I opened it couple weeks later for next batch, the carbonated yeast went everywhere!

Has anyone else managed to successfully harvest yeast with the fermentasaurus or a similar unitank whilst pressurised, and what I'm doing wrong?

Many thanks

Leigh

Rhodesy
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Yeast harvest with unitank

Post by Rhodesy » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:39 pm

I have a fermentasaurus also and have experienced this issue. Firstly it is best if yeast has finished completely before removing, also do not have it filled right to the brim to leave a little head space. What I would then do is is release the pressure every day or so by unscrewing a bit to let any pressure release then re-tighten.

I have mine propped up on some wood and use a 1L sodastream bottle which works well.

Rhodesy

Post by Rhodesy » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:43 pm

This is a Helles which is currently having a D rest. I pitched the full lot of yeast (M76) from the previous batch I had collected in the sodastream bottle.

Rankin_leigh
Steady Drinker

Post by Rankin_leigh » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:35 pm

Thanks Rhodsey, I was wondering if something as simply as that would work for the yeast.

And good idea about the soda stream bottle!
Having said that, I do have half an eye on the new fermentasaurus that's due out at some point. Looks like it will hopefully improve all the minor annoying bits like no handle and a bigger butterfly valve!

Leigh

Rhodesy

Post by Rhodesy » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:27 pm

I see they are planning a revamped one. I like watched the video and it sounds promising as it will support a thermowell in the lid plus the bottle attachment will have an extra to allow you to pressurise with co2 and vent when dry hopping before opening up the butterfly valve which helps to avoid introducing oxygen.