Pressure leaking from my King Keg valves.

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
JohnF
Tippler

Pressure leaking from my King Keg valves.

Post by JohnF » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:57 pm

Hi. I have been brewing quite successfully for a few years.
I have three King Keg barrels which have the valve with two rubber rings. A small one and a larger one.
Pressure is escaping from two barrels now, and although I have replaced the rubber rings on both pressure is still leaking.
I have used nearly a box of CO2 bulbs just to get a few pints from the barrels.
What can I do to stop the pressure escaping? It is coming from the valve as I can feel the gas escaping.
If I need to buy new valves which should I go for which would be more reliable?
Thanks in advance guys.
John

MarkA
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Pressure leaking from my King Keg valves.

Post by MarkA » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:29 pm

There is a little rubber band around the valve (the bit that is on the inside of the lid), make sure this is covering the small pressure release hole. Hope this helps!

JohnF
Tippler

Post by JohnF » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:35 pm

Thank you MarkA. Yes, both bands are in place. I cannot figure out why there is pressure leaking.
I can use a CO2 bulb, draw a pint, and when I want another all the pressure has gone - and there is not too much time between pints :D
John

MarkA

Post by MarkA » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:39 pm

Drink quicker! It's no fun though, I had the same problem a while back and the above sorted it (I think I actually replaced the bands as they become worn and slightly loose letting all the gas escape behind them)

Another obvious thing is not to over-tighten the lid as it can distort the o ring causing leaks, but I guess you haven't had a problem with that as you said it was the valve leaking.

MarkA

Post by MarkA » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:43 pm

Just remembered!! Another thing I did was to put a small piece of siphon tube inside the outer valve (the bit where you screw the bulb onto). This makes the gas release slower and not push the band out of place which I seem to remember happened with the new ones I fitted

MarkA

Post by MarkA » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:51 pm

This guy explains it better - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_gb6HCuLig

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Post by guypettigrew » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:46 pm

Are you saying the gas leaks out while you're trying to get it into the keg? Or are you saying the gas goes into the keg, but then leaks out afterwards?

If it's the former you could think about swapping over to the Hambleton bard S30 cylinders. If you've got a home brew shop near you which can exchange them for you!

If it's the latter then, as you've already replaced the rubber rings, removing the 'O' rings and cleaning the barrel and cap threads and seating for the 'O' rings might help. Remember to grease everything with Vaseline before you put it together.

Guy

Eric

Post by Eric » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:57 pm

That sort of problem is not uncommon. They have leakage problems of one type or another, but mostly due to an imperfect seal between the lid and the body. The rubber ring you describe is there to release excess pressure as you are aware and allows surplus pressure to escape, but this may not necessarily be the cause for all pressure loss. I use an S30 bottle rather than bulbs.

Make sure the cap is thoroughly cleaned and the seal examined for damage or dirt before being replaced. After filling the cask, I place vaseline on the rim of the neck and lightly tightened the top, unscrewed and retighten with only slightly more pressure. It then gets a very short blast of CO2, the tap just cracked to confirm pressure and closed, left for an hour and tested again to see if pressure is retained. If not the lid is removed and refitted as before. I'm not sure if this can be done with bulbs or if the whole is discharged in one.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

JohnF
Tippler

Post by JohnF » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:53 am

Thank you for all your input guys.
The seal of the cap has been greased with Vaseline. The gas comes out of the centre of the valve. As the barrel has only about 4" of beer left in it the pressure in the barrel cannot be that great but the gas still comes straight out. I have replaced both rubbers on the valve thinking that would cure the problem but it does not. The gas is only escaping from the centre pin of the valve. Further thoughts please?
Many thanks
John

Eric

Post by Eric » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:36 am

This is the best display of the valve's seal I can find. If the gas is coming out of the centre the faulty part should be part 1105 unless the valve body itself is faulty or fractured.

Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:47 pm

Sounds a though the pin might be sticking if that's where the gas is flowing from. But it's hard to fathom out why both valves should have the same problem.

Do you happen to have a spare valve lying around? If not, it might be worth buying one. They don't seem all that expensive.

Guy

JohnF
Tippler

Post by JohnF » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:50 pm

Thanks again. Does the S30 valve take all co2 8g bulbs?

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:20 am

According to the Hambleton Bard site the new stainless steel version can be used for either 8g bulbs or the larger 240g cylinders.

Guy

JohnF
Tippler

Post by JohnF » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:31 am

Thank you Guy. I will order a couple.
I will report back if they fix my problem.
Cheers John

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:02 am

You probably know this, but as no one's mentioned it yet; if you inject a long burst of gas in one go into those valves you can get ice crystals forming inside which can cause leakage. Just a thought.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter