Graprefruit Session IPA recipe?

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Graprefruit Session IPA recipe?

Post by Cobnut » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:39 pm

I tried a couple of these recently: Briarbank (Ipswich) and Navigation's Sour Diesel.

The former was lacking in proper grapefruit 'tang', but the latter very much reminded me of the pink grapefruit juice I like with my breakfast. Would be nice to brew a clone of this.

Does anyone have any proven recipes for a Grapefruit Session IPA that has a proper grapefruit flavour, before I approach the brewery and ask them if they'll share their recipe? Their website says it's a pale, zesty ale with Citra and grapefruit. Right up my alley!

Thanks.

soupdragon
Under the Table

Re: Graprefruit Session IPA recipe?

Post by soupdragon » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:47 pm

Can't help with a recipe but some of the more infamous breweries "allegedly" use the pressed extract that Rob (malt miller) sells to achieve the grapefruit flavour in some on their beers :wink:

Cheers. Tom

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Post by Robwalkeragain » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:07 pm

You could grab Elvis Juice out of DIY Dog and tone down the malt bill to 4% or so. Fairly solid drinkable grapefruit beer imo

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Post by Robwalkeragain » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:09 pm

I'm sure the brewery will be happy to give you an idea of how they use it though! It might be extract like soupdragon says. As long as it's an actual extract it'll taste good.

HTH1975
Piss Artist

Post by HTH1975 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:55 pm

Should be fairly straightforward to add grapefruit juice to the boil and peel in the fermenter. That would be my first thought.

floydmeddler
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by floydmeddler » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:41 pm

I have an Elvis Juice clone (20L) on the go at the min. I added the zest of 2 grapefruits and the zest of 1 orange at ‘flame out’ and steeped at 70c for 30 mins along with the late hops.

I also added the zest of 1 grapefruit and the zest of 1 orange (steeped in 100ml of 75c water for 5 mins) along with the dry hops for 3.5 days at 23c. So far, the grapefruit flavour is tasting really good and very natural.

I wouldn’t add the juice as this will ferment into a wine which doesn’t really appeal to me.

Happy brewing!

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:36 am

@floydmeddler, that sounds lush!
Thanks all for the replies. I've emailed Navigation, but no reply as yet. Plenty of time as I have other brews planned over the next few months and this is going to suit summer drinking much better.
May end up going the "Elvis Juice" route...

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:29 pm

floydmeddler wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:41 pm
I have an Elvis Juice clone (20L) on the go at the min. I added the zest of 2 grapefruits and the zest of 1 orange at ‘flame out’ and steeped at 70c for 30 mins along with the late hops.

I also added the zest of 1 grapefruit and the zest of 1 orange (steeped in 100ml of 75c water for 5 mins) along with the dry hops for 3.5 days at 23c. So far, the grapefruit flavour is tasting really good and very natural.

I wouldn’t add the juice as this will ferment into a wine which doesn’t really appeal to me.

Happy brewing!
Is this the DIY dog recipe?
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

floydmeddler
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by floydmeddler » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:16 pm

Sorry for delay. Yes - not to the letter, though. I'll share the recipe on the Elvis Juice thread.