Coopers Ginger Beer kit

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
adamzworld
Hollow Legs

Re: Coopers Ginger Beer kit

Post by adamzworld » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:29 am

The brew went well, only slight concern is that I had to boil up the DME and it seemed to think down a bit so I'm not sure whether it might have caremalised.

Anyway I had a taster out the sample jar and it tasted bloody lovely so hopefully that's a good sign!
Last edited by adamzworld on Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

adamzworld
Hollow Legs

Post by adamzworld » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:30 am

Can I ask how it's best to avoid transferring all the left over bits of ginger and coriander when I eventually syphon it from the FV to the pressure barrel?

Cheers

adamzworld
Hollow Legs

Post by adamzworld » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:12 pm

I've also got another query about the yeast. It's been in the FV for a couple of days now, but there's no sign of any fermentation or any bubbles coming to the surface. I used the kit yeast, which was from an out of date kit and didn't re-hydrate it first, so I'm wondering whether I should try chucking in a sachet of Gervins Ale yeast that I've got hanging around? If I do this, then should I stir it in or just leave it floating on the surface and hope it kick starts the fermentation process?

Cheers

PhilB
Piss Artist

Post by PhilB » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:02 pm

Hi Adam
adamzworld wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:12 pm
... wondering whether I should try chucking in a sachet of Gervins Ale yeast that I've got hanging around? If I do this, then should I stir it in or just leave it floating on the surface and hope it kick starts the fermentation process?
... there may still be time for the kit yeast that you pitched previously to kick in, but if you've got a Gervin Ale Yeast sachet that you don't mind using then you might as well save yourself some nervous waiting and chuck it in :? ... I'd suggest rehyrdrating it and mixing it in with a gentle stir, but whatever you usually do with yeast, basically :?
adamzworld wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:30 am
Can I ask how it's best to avoid transferring all the left over bits of ginger and coriander when I eventually syphon it from the FV to the pressure barrel?
... you may well find that by the end of fermentation lots of that will have dropped to the bottom of the FV ... and if you can chill your FV after fermentation is finished you can encourage that ... but some sort of filter on the end of your racking cane will help stop too much of the rest getting in :?

Cheers, PhilB

adamzworld
Hollow Legs

Post by adamzworld » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:13 pm

Thanks Phil,

Appreciate the feedback. I was also concerned that I might have overcooked the DME when I was trying to get rid of all the solid lumps. Would this have any impact on the fermentation if I've caused the DME to break down?

Cheers,

Adam

adamzworld
Hollow Legs

Post by adamzworld » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:00 pm

I rehydrated a pack of yeast last night (followed Northern Brewer YouTube video) and poured it in last night. When I checked this morning the air lock was bubbling away nicely so I'm a very happy chappy!

adamzworld
Hollow Legs

Post by adamzworld » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:36 pm

Thanks for the recipe PhilB. Here's how it turned out. Definitely improving with time!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vdhTNpJwf2MMJMXk6