Does anyone use Zetolite 63 or 65?

Discuss all aspects of fermentation
guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Does anyone use Zetolite 63 or 65?

Post by guypettigrew » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:51 pm

For the second time in about six weeks loads of hydrogen sulphide is being produced during fermentation. This time it's with WLP051.

Here's a link to the previous post when this happened at the end of September. The yeast then was WLP023.

In the previous post RobWA suggested Zetolite 63 to clear it up. Murphys sell Zetolite 63 and Zetolite 65.

Neither are very expensive, but with the amount needed for a 25 litre brew it would definitely outlast me!

I think the 63 is for use after fermentation, the 65 during fermentation. But I'm not sure.

Any advice anyone could give would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Guy

IPA
Under the Table

Re: Does anyone use Zetolite 63 or 65?

Post by IPA » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:27 am

guypettigrew wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:51 pm
For the second time in about six weeks loads of hydrogen sulphide is being produced during fermentation. This time it's with WLP051.

Here's a link to the previous post when this happened at the end of September. The yeast then was WLP023.

In the previous post RobWA suggested Zetolite 63 to clear it up. Murphys sell Zetolite 63 and Zetolite 65.

Neither are very expensive, but with the amount needed for a 25 litre brew it would definitely outlast me!

I think the 63 is for use after fermentation, the 65 during fermentation. But I'm not sure.

Any advice anyone could give would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Guy
Once the krausen has formed lift the lid even remove it if there is no danger of something dropping in. Replace it when fermentation abates. This of course does not apply to lager. I have not used an airlock in the last five years. Instead I use breathable foam bungs when fermentation has slowed. These also have the advantage that you can transfer via a tap with the lid in place.

Edit I have just looked at your previous post and see that I gave you a shorter version of this advice.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Re: Does anyone use Zetolite 63 or 65?

Post by Robwalkeragain » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:12 pm

AFAIK 63 is the one you want bud, when you experience sulfur just slosh it in and it should clean it up. If you trap the beer in a closed vessel it won't go away. That said I would think you could still remove it with a fair amount of primary, and I've read that water chemistry can increase sulfur production quite significantly.