Hydrogen sulphide

Discuss all aspects of fermentation
WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Hydrogen sulphide

Post by WalesAles » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:13 pm

Jocky wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:12 pm
You leave a foam bung on your fermenter for 2 weeks?
Jocky,
What`s wrong with that then?
I don`t use an airlock, just leave the FV lid slightly cracked open for two weeks, no problemo! Yet.
Covered with an old Duvet of course. :D

WA

Sent from the New Kitchen.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:35 pm

Jocky wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:12 pm
You leave a foam bung on your fermenter for 2 weeks?
Why not ?
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:06 pm

Oxidation?
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

MarkA
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by MarkA » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:12 pm

Jocky wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:06 pm
Oxidation?
I've never used an airlock on any beer (a square of tin foil with starsan does the job covering the hole) and have never had an oxidised beer, even after leaving a lager for 5 weeks. Where do these myths come from??

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:52 pm

Not myth. Personal experience.

And resultant feedback from at least a dozen other brewers across multiple beers.

These days I too open ferment with some foil over the fermenter opening, but once the fermentation starts to slow it's on with an airlock.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:29 pm

MarkA wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:12 pm
Jocky wrote:
Oxidation?
Where do these myths come from??
Mark,
The Myths on the Mountains,
The Rivers running free...................

WA

Or was that `Mist on the Mountain`?
Time to stop drinking Rasp and Cran TC or what? :D

MarkA
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by MarkA » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:31 pm

WalesAles wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:29 pm
MarkA wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:12 pm
Jocky wrote:
Oxidation?
Where do these myths come from??
Mark,
The Myths on the Mountains,
The Rivers running free...................

WA

Or was that `Mist on the Mountain`?
Time to stop drinking Rasp and Cran TC or what? :D
or drink more....? :wink:

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:12 am

There is probably a good middle ground in these things. The yeast and krausen offer significant protection against oxygen once things get underway; there isn't any great need for an airlock at this stage and there can be advantages with some yeast varieties to letting things breath more freely. Though I wouldn't say an airlock was inherently wrong, provided it was low pressure and appropriate to the amount of CO2 being generated.

Once things die down, the yeast still have some powers to deal with oxygen so I don't subscribe to paranoia about the slightest amount being allowed in; I'll happily open the lid to test things as much as wished, and dry hop etc. But these powers are now much reduced and there are no longer any benefits of allowing oxygen in, so IMO at this stage a sealed FV and an airlock start to become more beneficial.

This debate causes some controversy. I believe compounded by the (less than intuitive) way in which dissimilar gasses can mix; the concept of a CO2 blanket is overrated. Also, sensitivity to the flavours of mild oxidation varies between tasters, and is masked to a greater or lesser degree by different beer styles. Time in storage/maturation can also be a factor.
Kev

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:12 am

All good points Kev.

To explain further - my own experience in this was back some years where I'd ferment with just a bit of foil over a 1 inch opening to the fermenter, and then leave it that way for 2-3 weeks before bottling. I was a big believer in the 'CO2 blanket'.

I always suspected some oxidation, but when I started going to a homebrew club I was told that the beers were very oxidised. In a couple of dark beers it wasn't noticeable, but pale hoppy beers were bad.

So I switched to using an airlock (something which I've relaxed now - I only airlock when fermentation slows) and my next beer in a competition - a Double IPA, scored 39/50 and won a rosette and I have been brewing largely oxidation free beers since.

With all that in mind it surprises me that a foam bung stops gas exchange to the point that it avoids oxidation over a couple of weeks, foil even more so.

I enquired out of curiousity and wanting to understand, not to be dismissive of other's practices.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:20 am

Jocky wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:52 pm

And resultant feedback from at least a dozen other brewers across multiple beers.

These days I too open ferment with some foil over the fermenter opening, but once the fermentation starts to slow it's on with an airlock.
If it's good enough for Theakston it's good enough for me ! Did you get feedback from them :lol: :lol:
http://www.beerinfinity.com/uk-brewerie ... tadcaster/
they don't seem to suffer from oxidation =D> =D>

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:22 am

IPA wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:20 am
Jocky wrote:

If it's good enough for Theakston it's good enough for me ! Did you get feedback from them :lol: :lol:
Scroll down the link to see their open fermenter and then click on the image

Alone we travel faster

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:05 pm

IPA wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:20 am
Jocky wrote:

If you're not going to bother to read what I've written then nobody is benefitting here. :roll: