Fermenting In A Catering Urn (water boiler)

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Grizwald
Tippler

Fermenting In A Catering Urn (water boiler)

Post by Grizwald » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:19 pm

Hi folks, following on from this thread (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=67522), I'm looking at temperature-controlled fermenter options as I brew (and ferment) in my garage that can get a little chilly this time of year.

I have been thinking about using a thermostat-controlled catering urn like this one here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Burco-MFCT1030 ... B004EAERSS

I was wondering if anybody had tried something like this for temperature-controlled fermentation and tif here are good reasons why I shouldn't bother?

Cheers in advance :D

HTH1975
Piss Artist

Re: Fermenting In A Catering Urn (water boiler)

Post by HTH1975 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:57 pm

Temperature control from 50-98C. Not gonna work as temperature control for wort I’m afraid - much too hot.

Grizwald
Tippler

Post by Grizwald » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:51 am

ARGH - thanks HTH.

Completely misread that! :)

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:07 am

In that kind of situation you might be better off building a little fermentation box (e.g. using celotex insulation board) and then putting a soil heating cable or some other low wattage heat source inside it along with an inkbird temperature controller to turn it on/off.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:55 am

The urn is also about 100 times more powerful than required to directly warm the fermenting wort - so even with a replacement thermostat it would be hard to control closely enough (they often have rolled seams instead of hygienic welds, too).

So yes, IMO go for something more conventional - such as a fermenting chamber/fridge, or heat-belt or immersion heater.
Kev

bitter_dave
Even further under the Table

Post by bitter_dave » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:01 am

Might be an idea to insulate the fermenter with an old thick duvet or similar if you use an immersion heater

lord groan
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by lord groan » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:28 pm

I had a similar problem a few years ago. Basically what you need is a box wth a safe heat source and a thermostat. I started by using an old cupboard big enough to hold the fermenter, then I put an old central heating thermostat in the cupboard and wired my old Boots brew belt to that, a lead from the stat came out through a hole in the side and had a 13a plug attached.
Very very basic with very limited temperature control but it actually worked really well. Kept the brew at about 20-22c continuously.
My second fermenting box is a fridge with an STC1000 to control the fridge and a heating cable. This gives much more accurate control (and can hold 2 fermenters)
The heating cable I use is this one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Complete-Fle ... :rk:1:pf:0
I got 1.5m and cable tied it to the bottom wire shelf in the fridge, the shelf wire heats up and helps give a fairly even heat spread. The fermenter sits on the 2nd shelf. The cable itself reaches 80c so don't have it in direct contact with a fermenter, the fridge wall or your skin.

hth