Chances of surviving sanitation blunder?

The place to discuss all things about brewing hygiene!
bitter_dave
Even further under the Table

Chances of surviving sanitation blunder?

Post by bitter_dave » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:43 pm

Hi everyone, I just made a brewing blunder that is new even to me!

I just finished brewing a bitter and transferred it to the fermenting bin, added the the yeast (Windsor) and suddenly realised I had not sanitised the fermenting bin! I cleaned another bin and sanitised it with star san and poured it in to the new bin. I would guess it was in the first bin for half an hour.

What do you think my chances of getting away with it are? I did clean the bin I used first using soda crystals shortly before I added the beer although this obviously does not kill any lurking bacteria. I re-hydrated the yeast so hopefully it will get to work quickly, although not sure if this will make any difference.

Jim
Site Admin

Re: Chances of surviving sanitation blunder?

Post by Jim » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:55 pm

Since it was well cleaned you might be lucky. Only time will tell.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

gobuchul
Steady Drinker

Post by gobuchul » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:56 pm

I think the whole obsession with sanatising everything is something driven by the suppliers to sell more chemicals.

I do clean and sanatise my kit but I don't think that beer is quite as sensitive as people think. It was brewed for hundreds of years before people knew what germs were.

If it was an all grain brew and your fermenter was near to where you mashed your grain, then a lactobacillus infection from the grain dust is possible.

My guess is that you will be fine.

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:56 pm

50/50 chance mate!

No point in stressing now, my bet is it’s all going to be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

bitter_dave

Post by bitter_dave » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:26 pm

Thanks folks!

I'll let you know the outcome in a month or so

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Post by Robwalkeragain » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:25 pm

I doubt much bacteria has survived the soda crystal wash. Although not a perfectly effective sanitizer, Bactria are gonna have a hard time in a high pH environment, so you might get away with it. We only discovered sanitizer in the 1800s, we've been brewing beer for 20,000 years!

HTH1975
Piss Artist

Post by HTH1975 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:42 pm

Don’t stress, your beer will be fine - yeast will crowd out anything that might be lurking (though I doubt it from what you described).

Paddington
Piss Artist

Post by Paddington » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:13 pm

I suppose it's all about percentages. I've made a few slips like this and never got caught out yet, but if you're unlucky, well... you can't be a bit pregnant or a bit dead.

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:45 am

If the FV wasn't disinfected then there will be more nasties than normal, which of course could have repercussions. But disaster certainly isn't inevitable if the FV was at least physically clean. As the yeast gobble up the sugars and start to make alcohol, things get ever more difficult for competitors.

The chances will be better if your pitching method was good, minimising lag time. Though if it does come through OK, it might be best not to lay it down for a long period of time (especially if it is of modest ABV and hopping).

It has been mentioned that beer has been brewed for years before disinfection was understood. To be fair, much of it would have been considered infected by today's standards, but it was still usually beer. Even now, most homebrewers don't sterilise their equipment, so its just a matter of degree and luck.
Kev

Eric

Post by Eric » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:30 pm

A best option could be to assume the brew will have a more limited life than usual. As explained above, the yeast will work in your favour and possibly either disable or even kill the vast majority of any potential bacterial infection. Wild yeasts will likely survive but they may be so outnumbered to have no noticable impact. The best circumstance will be if the yeast takes off rapidly and you might care to read this. Even if all bacteria are killed, there is the damage they can do before their actions are limited.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

charlie
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by charlie » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:09 pm

rdwhahb
Brewing in the badlands between Arnside and Milnthorpe.
Cumbria

bitter_dave

Post by bitter_dave » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:55 pm

Thank you everyone! Great information / tips (as always!). Eric - will look at that article.

Assuming it isn't instant vinegar I will make a point of drinking it quickly!

It's my first time brewing with Windsor, so once fermentation is done I will crash cool it and fine it to get it cleared (hopefully) fairly swiftly, barrel it, and then get drinking! It's a bog standard bitter (1042-ish, 95% Pale 5% Crystal, something like 29 IBUs). I'm expecting a high FG.

If that fails I have a fair bit of pale ale to RDWHAHB :)

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:11 am

Kev888 wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:45 am
It has been mentioned that beer has been brewed for years before disinfection was understood. To be fair, much of it would have been considered infected by today's standards, but it was still usually beer.
Belgium has created a whole Beer industry out of it. :lol:
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer