Dry hop - temp reduction

Discuss all aspects of fermentation
guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Re: Dry hop - temp reduction

Post by guypettigrew » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:34 pm

HTH1975 wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:40 pm
The main issue regarding dry hopping and temperature is the possibility of getting vegetal flavour/aroma in the beer. I know Brewdog dry hop at 14C and I’ve got some info in one of my John Palmer books where I think it’s either Firestone Walker or Sierra Nevada who advise they chill down to the mid-teens centigrade for dry hopping.
My beers are dry hopped in the keg after the beer has been cooled down to about 6°C in the fermenter. They then sit at about 11-12°C in a temperature controlled cupboard.

I've had lots of other problems with my brews, especially in the early days (who hasn't), but a vegetal aroma hasn't been one, even though the beer may be in the keg for four weeks before it's finished.

There, I've tempted fate now. The next one will be horrid!

Guy

Northern Brewer
Piss Artist

Post by Northern Brewer » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:26 pm

Robwalkeragain wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:10 am
Heard it from one of cloudwater's brewers that they dry hop warm 3-4 days, cold 3-4 days, regular stirring via co2
If you look at their fermentation schedules for the original DIPA v3, the 2018 version of DIPA v3 and DIPA v3.1, they've upped their dry hop temperatures a little bit, I guess the two temperatures you're referring to are 18C and then 12C, then they stablise at -2C.

At Brewcon at the weekend, Jenn Merrick, former head brewer at Beavertown, was also talking in favour of dry hopping warm.

Conversely, you don't need to dry hop for too long - most of the main aromatics come out of hops within 24-36 hours, you might get a bit more complexity by leaving them three days but there's not much gain after that.

Grizwald
Tippler

Post by Grizwald » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:07 am

Thanks guys - much appreciated!

@ Meatymc: Thank you - really helpful and I will indeed see plenty of need to 'rearrange the garage' :)

@ WalesAles - good tip, thanks :)