Beer engines; keeping it fresh

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
greenwood
Steady Drinker

Re: Beer engines; keeping it fresh

Post by greenwood » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:49 am

Yes . I think you gave me the idea!cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:05 am

Trefoyl wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:37 pm
The connector hose I have is green and opaque. I assume it’s a kind of vinyl. It cleaned up beautifully. The replacement spare hoses I just ordered are navy blue and look like silicon.
Refinished and back in action :D
Tref,
Nice looking Dragon Label on your wall! :D =D>

WA

Trefoyl
Even further under the Table

Post by Trefoyl » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:30 pm

:D Idris is no longer relegated to the garage but has pride of place in the office / pub =D>
Sommeliers recommend that you swirl a glass of wine and inhale its bouquet before throwing it in the face of your enemy.

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:44 am

Trefoyl wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:30 pm
:D Idris is no longer relegated to the garage but has pride of place in the office / pub =D>
BLM! :D
Idris is loving his new status with the `Posh Labels`! =D>

WA

johnmac
Under the Table

Post by johnmac » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:13 pm

I have also learned to my cost that bleach/chlorine can permanently taint the pumps .
It shouldn't be a problem with thin bleach but probably would be with thick bleach, which is intended to cling to surfaces. Let's not forget that pub cleaning fluid is chlorine based.

greenwood
Steady Drinker

Post by greenwood » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:42 pm

johnmac wrote:
I have also learned to my cost that bleach/chlorine can permanently taint the pumps .
It shouldn't be a problem with thin bleach but probably would be with thick bleach, which is intended to cling to surfaces. Let's not forget that pub cleaning fluid is chlorine based.
Well whatever works works . I know I had irretrievable taint in my pumps and the guy from England /worthside said never use bleach as it reacts with the rubber . Don’t know about line cleaning fluid but I’ve never used Chlorine since and the taint has never returned !.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackaddler
Under the Table

Post by Blackaddler » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:20 pm

johnmac wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:13 pm
Beer liner cleaner usually has less than 5% of chlorine-based bleaching agent, and are mostly caustic.

The main ingredients are Sodium or Potassium Hyrdoxide [up to 30%] and Sodium Hypochlorite in various mixtures, depending on which brand you buy.

johnmac
Under the Table

Post by johnmac » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:33 pm

Beer liner cleaner usually has less than 5% of chlorine-based bleaching agent
Household bleach bottles normally quote the same figure. Dunno, though the thought occurs to me that if someone walks into a job at England Worthside, they don't suddenly become an authority on chemical reactions with beer engine components and they may just be someone who likes to spout off. On the other hand, every chance the EWL employee is indeed that kind of expert.

Blackaddler
Under the Table

Post by Blackaddler » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:03 pm

For a note on Harry Masons older beer engines, See viewtopic.php?f=38&t=81509.

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Post by Robwalkeragain » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:44 pm

johnmac wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:33 pm
Beer liner cleaner usually has less than 5% of chlorine-based bleaching agent
Household bleach bottles normally quote the same figure. Dunno, though the thought occurs to me that if someone walks into a job at England Worthside, they don't suddenly become an authority on chemical reactions with beer engine components and they may just be someone who likes to spout off. On the other hand, every chance the EWL employee is indeed that kind of expert.
Rubber is just a bad material for beer. Silicone and stainless are much less reactive. What we buy commercially is just thin, measurable unscented bleach essentially. The line cleaners include a dye that reacts with yeast for safety/indicative reasons. Great topic btw, just purchased a beer engine so great advice in here