Cooler to house kegs

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Rhodesy
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Cooler to house kegs

Post by Rhodesy » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:46 pm

I am toying with the idea of using a cooler to house a couple of 9L kegs which will give me a portable option as the keezer is in my garage and one in the house has seen me over-ruled on the subject...

If I can only fit one then I can accept that or maybe fit one of those 5L growlers in addition but was wondering if anyone on here has a similar set up? I like the look of this but cant find the internal dimensions to see if it is doable or any other suggestions for a suitable cooler to house them.

alexlark
Under the Table

Re: Cooler to house kegs

Post by alexlark » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:23 pm

My compromise was a large thermos flask. I fill it from the garage and it's enough for an evening. Keeps drinks hot and keeps drinks cool :)

Holds over a litre. About 1.5L

Rhodesy

Post by Rhodesy » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:38 pm

:D. I already have one 9L Corny with a thermo jacket but find that when sitting out I need to mess about with the flow control and / or pressure. This time of year is a bit easier as it can sit outside between pours but would prefer something which keeps it constant and is also handy to take to other peoples houses, out the back on the one nice sunny day we get up here per year...

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:09 pm

Maybe a cooler box and some ice packs will do you. That will probably work quite well.

TheSumOfAllBeers

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:21 pm

2nd hand husky fridge. Won’t fit 2x cornies. But would fit a 5L growler keg, with spear head and disconnects. Squeezing in a reg and gas would be a challenge, but is doable with these small regs.

You could pipe in the gas from outside, but I guess you would push it with the Fung shui master.

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:36 pm

Nice little compact setup you've got there!

TheSumOfAllBeers

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:14 pm

Yeah I went to present on this at our club but couldn’t show the slides like this one. A 9L corny keg and a husky fridge is a game changer for someone who wants a small footprint kegerator, and lacks the diy skills.

It makes me want to use it more as regular beer supply.

Rhodesy

Post by Rhodesy » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:42 pm

Sorry I forgot to reply on this. That looks a good compromise for me to get a keg in the house. Is that a 48L one?

TheSumOfAllBeers

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:33 pm

I don’t know what the exact specs are, but it’s Carlsberg branded, and I think it is the largest of the husky fridges.

The compressor shelf is quite recessed also giving a respectable amount of floor space for a 9L AEB corny.

It’s quiet and it won over the SO.

While it’s not a perfect replacement for a kegerator. It gets very close especially if you have a mother keg(s).

Rhodesy

Post by Rhodesy » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:54 pm

Thanks. I am still weighing things up as I quite like the idea of something mobile which will keep them cool for a session and can go outdoors etc.

TheSumOfAllBeers

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:08 pm

Well a husky fridge is not mobile.

But don’t overthink mobile cooling, keep your travel keg in a fridge and then transport in an insulated cool bag with ice packs. Immerse in ice at your destination.

You can get insulated keg jackets too.