brewdog recipies

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
lee1
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

brewdog recipies

Post by lee1 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:09 pm

hi all ive brewed 5 diy dog recipies with great success [the phsycics] [zeitgeist] [hazy jane ] [hunter foundation] [dead pony club ] has any body else brewed diy dog with good results and what beer :D :D :D :D
soon be dead thank beer for that no pain where im going :-)

Mashman

Re: brewdog recipies

Post by Mashman » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:46 pm

Restorative beverage for invalides and convalescents. Stunning!
Two Valleys Brewery

Brewing up trouble

lee1

Post by lee1 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:51 pm

oh that look good might have a dabble at that recipie
soon be dead thank beer for that no pain where im going :-)

HTH1975
Piss Artist

Post by HTH1975 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:35 am

lee1 wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:09 pm
hi all ive brewed 5 diy dog recipies with great success [the phsycics] [zeitgeist] [hazy jane ] [hunter foundation] [dead pony club ] has any body else brewed diy dog with good results and what beer :D :D :D :D
Did you brew them exactly as per the recipe? I ask because I put Punk IPA into Brewers Friend and the IBUs were almost double.

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:11 am

lee1 wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:09 pm
Done "the physics", "hunter foundation" and "dead pony club" too. The first two of those don't get involved with the "BrewDog" style dry hopping so are that much easier. I started doing them as an introduction to all these contemporary beers, because before I was an out-and-out "Real Ale" drinker only. I haven't "switched allegiance", just made them a tasty expansion of my brewing repertoire.

"The Physics" morphed into BrewDog's "5AM Saint" which is my favourite DIYDog recipe so far. Despite the information, I don't think they result in clones; the commercial "5AM Saint" seemed to have a "lavender" note to the hops, whereas my own followed more "tropical" flavour of lychees and (occasionally) grapefruit. My notes says the commercial stuff (side-by-side comparison) was "brighter" and more acidic in flavour, and had a vegetative edge to the hopping. Generally these "clones" can be preferable to the commercial examples! Unlike the commercial examples the "clones" are usually "living beer" and the flavours do squirm about a bit (e.g. lychee one day, grapefruit another).
HTH1975 wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:35 am
Did you brew them exactly as per the recipe? I ask because I put Punk IPA into Brewers Friend and the IBUs were almost double.
That's the rub. The recipes haven't been published with a lot of care and you do have to use experience and research to translate some of the recipes into useable ones.
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:12 pm

Anybody done the 5AM? I love that beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

Northern Brewer
Piss Artist

Post by Northern Brewer » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:40 pm

PeeBee wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:11 am
I don't think they result in clones; the commercial "5AM Saint" seemed to have a "lavender" note to the hops, whereas my own followed more "tropical" flavour of lychees and (occasionally) grapefruit. My notes says the commercial stuff (side-by-side comparison) was "brighter" and more acidic in flavour, and had a vegetative edge to the hopping. Generally these "clones" can be preferable to the commercial examples!
That sounds like a yeast thing, not a recipe thing. It sounds like they're getting geraniol etc from hop biotransformation by yeast, and you're not. I can't say for 5AM but certainly Punk and Jackhammer use a yeast that came from Holt's via Thornbridge (according to James Kemp, who also took the same yeast to Buxton). What yeast are you using? You need a biotransformative yeast like 1318.

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:47 pm

Derp, never read all the thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:49 pm

LeeH wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:12 pm
Anybody done the 5AM? I love that beer.
5AM? I take by that you meant to say "Anybody else done the 5AM?" as my preceeding post mentioned it. Or you just speed read through preceeding posts and miss a lot of detail? (EDIT: oops, someone beat me to it!). My favourite amongst BrewDog beers, and DIYDog beers, too (as far as I've dug through to date); are you also saying I don't need to look further?
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:06 pm

Northern Brewer wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:40 pm
That sounds like a yeast thing, not a recipe thing. It sounds like they're getting geraniol etc from hop biotransformation by yeast, and you're not. I can't say for 5AM but certainly Punk and Jackhammer use a yeast that came from Holt's via Thornbridge (according to James Kemp, who also took the same yeast to Buxton). What yeast are you using? You need a biotransformative yeast like 1318.
Makes sense. I was rather pleased with myself when I could recognise "geraniums" in a beer (I'll need to look up which one) and then started learning about "geraniol". But for the "5AM Saint" in question; seems I had started messing with "Nottingham" yeast for this ('cos the usual US-05 stuff will not clear - in this 5AM recipe the Nottingham wouldn't either!). Messing with Mangrove Jack's M44 now, only to learn from the experience that is notorious for being a slow starter (and just slow it seems). Thanks.

Paddington
Piss Artist

Post by Paddington » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:58 pm

Northern Brewer wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:40 pm
PeeBee wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:11 am
I don't think they result in clones; the commercial "5AM Saint" seemed to have a "lavender" note to the hops, whereas my own followed more "tropical" flavour of lychees and (occasionally) grapefruit. My notes says the commercial stuff (side-by-side comparison) was "brighter" and more acidic in flavour, and had a vegetative edge to the hopping. Generally these "clones" can be preferable to the commercial examples!
That's interesting, because I did a Punk IPA and was very disappointed (it was good but nothing like the original). Maybe it was the yeast. The recipe just uses Chico strain.

Northern Brewer
Piss Artist

Post by Northern Brewer » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:20 pm

Paddington wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:58 pm
That's interesting, because I did a Punk IPA and was very disappointed (it was good but nothing like the original).
I believe people who drink Punk regularly (not me) would say that's been true of the commercial version for at least 5 years!!!

But yeah, everyone seems to assume they're using a Chico-like yeast (ie the family that includes WLP001, 1056, US-05 although they are not identical) and I think we can assume that Holt's don't. I don't know the Holt's yeast myself, but as I say, it sounds like you should be going somewhere in the neighbourhood of Wyeast 1318, there just isn't a dry yeast that really cuts it although Holt's are one of the breweries proposed as the origin of the old Danstar Manchester. Or see if you can harvest something from Holt's/Thornbridge/Buxton...

That lag phase makes M44 sound awfully like repackaged BRY-97, although some people on the internet think M44 is closer to Pacman/Imperial Joystick, a Chico derivative.

Paddington
Piss Artist

Post by Paddington » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:00 am

I did a fair bit of research on New England IPAs and 1318 is the generally agreed yeast of choice in the US.

bryanferry
Piss Artist

Post by bryanferry » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:04 am

I've done the Candy Kaiser (twice) and the honey and lemon blitz. Plus Brewdog released a book with Cloudwater's bergamot hopfen weisse. All were very good.

Was tempted to try the raspberry blitz as January is coming and its 0.5%. However got a can of it in their advent calendar last week and its not my cup of tea. The calendar redeemed itself with their Mistletoe Mafia. Need to find a recipe for that.
Grainfather conical standard bitter
Corny Keg 1 - Silver still spirits tonic water
Corny Keg 2 - Purple empty
Corny Keg 3 - Copper low % ale
Demi Johns