Ordered a Brewie! Have any good recepies?

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
nibber
Steady Drinker

Re: Ordered a Brewie! Have any good recepies?

Post by nibber » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:00 am

Looks like a twin tub washing machine!

sonicated
Hollow Legs

Post by sonicated » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:38 pm

sonicated wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:57 pm
Zymotik wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:37 pm
It finally arrived yesterday and I did my first brew today! Expect a review shortly. There are ups.... And downs....!
I'm very interested!
Any updates Zymotik? :)

Zymotik
Tippler

Post by Zymotik » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:33 pm

I've been really busy, but still I've had time to brew a Pilsner (now sat in the larger fridge, 9 weeks to go), a brown ale and my first ever chocolate porter (with fresh coffee). That was all in week one. I managed to do an unboxing video for you all too: https://youtu.be/6x-c9DLW6BY (subscribe and like if you want me to post more reviews and recipes)

Update on the 4 lads all buying in... One of the lads really doesn't get on with the machine. It worked great for me, but for him, it's had a few hissy fits. If he's honest, he'll tell you he hasn't stuck to the instructions, so you can't expect it to be perfect. We're now buying his share out. It's a shame, he'll be brewing outside in the cold this winter 😬

Zymotik
Tippler

Post by Zymotik » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:35 pm

nibber wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:00 am
Looks like a twin tub washing machine!
Exactly what I thought! Most of my mates haven't a clue what that or a mangle is though 😆

sonicated
Hollow Legs

Post by sonicated » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:04 am

Thanks for the update! You said there were ups and downs with the brew day, can you elaborate?

cqout
Piss Artist

Post by cqout » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:30 pm

Thanks for the update

i have a question burning inside me

Does it really clean itself? do you have to get involved as I really hate the cleaning side of brewing

cheers

Chris
BossTronix 1 15 gallon pot brewery
2 x 7 gallon SS Brewtech Chronical
6 x Corny Kegs
in Keg 1 - Black Lager
in Keg 2 - Raspberryade
in Keg 3 - Devil's Backbone Clone
in Keg 4 - empty
in keg 5 - empty
in keg 6 - empty
Tap 1 - Black lager
Tap 2 - Raspberryade

gobuchul
Steady Drinker

Post by gobuchul » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:10 am

Does it really clean itself? do you have to get involved as I really hate the cleaning side of brewing
This really interested me as well. Found this video on youtube and I think the answer is no. It's very similar to cleaning a Grainfather, easier than a 3 pot system but I wouldn't call it "self-cleaning".

[youtube] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02paeM-AerA [/youtube]
Expect a review shortly
We're still waiting Zymotik! :)

Zymotik
Tippler

Post by Zymotik » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:35 pm

Really sorry about the delay, just finding the time lately has been hard, now you can see why I need an automated machine!!

So... Does it clean it' self?

Yes it does, but it doesn't mean it's totally hands off like a dishwasher. At the end of the brew, once it's done, I usually just run the short clean. This involves cold water rinse through both tanks, the hop tanks and through the outlet hose. It takes 10-15 minutes I guess. While that's running, I wipe down the inside, wipe the top covers and put a rag round each of the hop tanks. It takes a scrub to get it back to 'new' clean, but the rinse does a good job getting it ready enough for a new brew. You really need a brush to clean the bottom of the hop tanks. Next up, I take the hop cages, empty them into the compost bin, then rinse them under the tap. They are really good at capturing all the hot break protein as it passes buy, so they take a good rinse and a shake to get most of it off. I then pop them in the dishwasher and they come out new again. I've usually already emptied the grain bag at this point, but if at the end of a session, I take this out to the compost and empty it, give it a quick rinse under the tap, and them squeeze it dry and hang it up. All in all, I'm done in 15 mins tops, so I don't think that's bad.

You also have the option of a sterilising clean and a full clean (2 hours long!) both with heated water.

I've got to shoot off, but I'll go into up's and downs next. And some pro's and cons!

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:01 pm

That cleaning part doesnt sound to bad then. I have a grainfather and the cleaning cycle on that is all about cleaning out the pump/pipework that you cannot get to. It still needs a scrub as well.

gobuchul
Steady Drinker

Post by gobuchul » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:19 pm

I see that The Malt Miller had a massive price drop on the Brewie.

It's now out of stock, I wonder if he sold any or has just given up?

I quite liked the look of it and would of probably of took a punt on it at the reduced price over my Grainfather, might of been a lucky escape!

Kingfisher4
Hollow Legs

Post by Kingfisher4 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:46 pm

gobuchul wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:19 pm
I see that The Malt Miller had a massive price drop on the Brewie.

It's now out of stock, I wonder if he sold any or has just given up?

I quite liked the look of it and would of probably of took a punt on it at the reduced price over my Grainfather, might of been a lucky escape!
They are so open and helpful at The MM; have you asked them directly??

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:25 pm

Loads and loads of issues reported on the US forum.

Also that was some serious mark up at full price!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

Secla
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Secla » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:39 pm

I think having to knock off £1000 really says something. I’m surprised they haven’t got any left as they weren’t going quickly even at the lower price !
I bet they took a big hit on them 😬

FULLERS
Tippler

Post by FULLERS » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:06 am

looks a very limited piece of gear with an output in beer produced that is not worth the effort, get a proven bit of kit like a grainfather, in 4 hours you have 5 gallons of wort fermenting.

Lannyboy
Sober

Post by Lannyboy » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:27 pm

[quote=Zymotik post_id=830664 time=1521151701 user_id=5386]
A bunch of local mates pitched in and ordered a Brewie (www.brewie.org). It's the new, improved version. Roughly £475 each between 4 of us. I'm the lucky one who gets it in my garage :D

Anyone else have one? Any good recepies you've found?

I had a chat to the local home brew store and they're willing to sort us out great deals on hops if we bulk buy, so working as a co-op and buying one of these machines looks to be a great idea!
[/quote]

Just got mine too! I have a few. Also have you seen their Recipe Guide?