Coopers european lager

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
Alexdc12
Steady Drinker

Coopers european lager

Post by Alexdc12 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:17 pm

Hi all
Newbie here. In September I started to brew my coopers European lager kit. I did the first phase in the primary fv. Once the desired fg was met I transferred to a corny keg, I didnt add priming sugar as I wanted to just fill directly with co2.
I pressurised the corny keg using a soda stream co2 bottle and left it be for 3 months in the garage to be ready for Xmas.
I tried it before Xmas and was disappointed, the lager shot out so there was pressure in the keg. The lager once settled was a bit cloudy but even more disappointing was the lack of fizz. There were little to no bubbles in appearance and taste.

What have I done wrong?
Is it savable?

Tia

Haydnexport
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Coopers european lager

Post by Haydnexport » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:35 pm

how did you pressurize it? Just a blast to a certain psi? Most likely the beer has absorbed that small amount of co2 and that's it. You either need to keep the bottle connected to the keg for a week or so at the desired psi or 'force carbonate' it , basically upping the psi on the keg and agitate it by say rocking it back and forth on the floor ( i do it at 25psi for 4 mins) to 'force' the c02 into the beer. You usually do have a pint or 2 from the bottom that's cloudy if its not crystal clear before kegging, it should clear as long as it's not disturbed too much (like getting force carbonated ).

Alexdc12
Steady Drinker

Post by Alexdc12 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:45 pm

I just blasted it to the desired psi and then disconnected gas. What's my best bet then? Connect gas and leave it on or force carbonate? When you force carbonate do u leave the gas connected whilst agitating the lager?

Haydnexport
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Haydnexport » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:50 pm

if you can wait , then connect and leave. If you can't then force carb. Yes you keep the gas on during force carbing.

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Post by Robwalkeragain » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:52 pm

Yeah you need to leave it on for a week or so. Blast it to 30 psi to seal the lid, then knock it down to 15 or so for a highly carbonated beer. Should be fine after carbing up.
To help with clarity you could cut your dip tube a few cm. You’ll lose a little beer but it’ll stop your keg from picking up any solids that slowly settle. I’m managing fairly clear beer without much effort doing this

Alexdc12
Steady Drinker

Post by Alexdc12 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:22 pm

Cheers, I have pumped it up to 30psi and then knocked it down. See what happens.

Alexdc12
Steady Drinker

Post by Alexdc12 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:22 pm

It's been a week on the gas. Used about half a sodastream bottle. Still no bubbles showing in the glass. Taste has improved slightly though. Guess I should just leave it on the gas for a bit longer?

Alexdc12
Steady Drinker

Post by Alexdc12 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:02 pm

Still no fizz? Can't figure it out!

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:03 pm

Alexdc12 wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:02 pm
Still no fizz? Can't figure it out!
Check for leaks, spray all your fittings and lid with a weak solution of washing up liquid, look and listen for tiny bubbles.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer