Beer engine + polypins

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs
Posts: 311
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:19 am

Beer engine + polypins

Post by Robwalkeragain » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:34 am

Hallo. My time with my cornelius kegs has come to an end - I’ve pretty much exhausted all of tr scenarios available and basically just deemed it too unsafe around the dogs/kids and too bloody fiddly.
So I want to switch to a combo of beer engine and polypins in a fridge. I have no issue mostly clarifying prior to transfer with enough yeast left to condition. Couple of simple questions;

How long can i expect to keep a polypin fresh once opened? Just looking to size whatever i buy appropriately as i drink about 8 pints a week.
Any recommended gubbins to include on the set up? NRVs, duckbills etc.
Are they difficult to service or will i be unlikely to need to given the volume being served through them?
Cheers!

gobuchul
Steady Drinker
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:07 pm

Re: Beer engine + polypins

Post by gobuchul » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:44 am

I have used a beer engine and polypins a lot.

However I drink a bit more than 8 pints a week. SO I don't have any longevity problems. :)

My beer engine has a non return valve and I always ensure I get good seals and don't air to back fill the polypin. The beer engine draws hard enough to pull the beer out and polypin is left crushed flat once it is empty. Very little or no air gets in. So I guess it could keep a few weeks no problem, not sure if it would last 5 though.

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs
Posts: 311
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:19 am

Re: Beer engine + polypins

Post by Robwalkeragain » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:21 pm

gobuchul wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:44 am
I have used a beer engine and polypins a lot.

However I drink a bit more than 8 pints a week. SO I don't have any longevity problems. :)

My beer engine has a non return valve and I always ensure I get good seals and don't air to back fill the polypin. The beer engine draws hard enough to pull the beer out and polypin is left crushed flat once it is empty. Very little or no air gets in. So I guess it could keep a few weeks no problem, not sure if it would last 5 though.
Yeah 10L are available anyway so thats 4 weeks, stronger beers i can put in disposable 5’s maybe.
How do you transfer the line to the next poly?

gobuchul
Steady Drinker
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:07 pm

Re: Beer engine + polypins

Post by gobuchul » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:26 pm

How do you transfer the line to the next poly?
Not sure what you mean?

User avatar
PeeBee
Hollow Legs
Posts: 450
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:50 pm
Location: North Wales

Re: Beer engine + polypins

Post by PeeBee » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:55 pm

Beer keeps in polypin for 4-5 weeks, as previously mentioned. The problem is the relatively thin polythene (I believe it's polythene?) is permeable to gases; CO2 passes out, O2 passes in. So the beer will eventually get very flat (that's "no CO2 at all" flat, not "Real Ale" flat - which isn't flat really but some describe it as so) and eventually oxidise. No problem if you can guarantee a high turnover. Note that the problem begins as soon as the beer is put into a polypin, not from the time the polypin is tapped.

Polypins are good (so I'm told) if you can have the turnover, possibly better if you manage the priming and management well. Some people don't notice the oxidation, but that's "some people" for you.

I gave up with them decades ago ( :-$ ) but that was long before I understood the gas permeability issue. And long before I owned a handpump (or two … or three :) ).

I use Corny kegs and variable propane regulators with handpumps now, but that's no good to you if avoiding kegs.

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs
Posts: 311
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:19 am

Re: Beer engine + polypins

Post by Robwalkeragain » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:09 pm

Thanks for the great response PeeBee. I have just picked up a beer engine in need of cosmetic refurb but in seemingly working order.
Attachments
7F7DEE2B-BDFA-4E58-A93A-51220C59E9B1.jpeg

User avatar
PeeBee
Hollow Legs
Posts: 450
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:50 pm
Location: North Wales

Re: Beer engine + polypins

Post by PeeBee » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:51 pm

Cheers. The wood mounting appears modified? No problem, Angram (looks like an Angram to me) sell replacement mounts. I know 'cos I got one so my handpumps look all the same (so I guess that makes me a bit of a tart?).

Also means I've got one spare! Light "oak" rather than the dark "oak" you've got. Want it?

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs
Posts: 311
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:19 am

Re: Beer engine + polypins

Post by Robwalkeragain » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:57 pm

Its chipped i think, hence the price. How much you looking for posted?

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs
Posts: 311
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:19 am

Re: Beer engine + polypins

Post by Robwalkeragain » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:56 pm

gobuchul wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:26 pm
How do you transfer the line to the next poly?
Not sure what you mean?
Noob question really - it appears after some googling you just move the line over to the next poly and attach with a jubilee clip. Or if youre too pissed, just pour from the next poly by hand, haha

User avatar
PeeBee
Hollow Legs
Posts: 450
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:50 pm
Location: North Wales

Re: Beer engine + polypins

Post by PeeBee » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:49 am

Robwalkeragain wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:57 pm
Its chipped i think, hence the price. How much you looking for posted?
Not looking for owt for the mount, it's a bit of unused, scrap wood to me. But I've got to find first (I do know it's still here somewhere, only switched it last year). The "posting" bit is the awkward bit. I'll dig about for it tomorrow, get you a photo, and hopefully get a price for postage.

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs
Posts: 311
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:19 am

Re: Beer engine + polypins

Post by Robwalkeragain » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:00 am

Sure it won’t be much. Very kind mate, thank you! Ive been thinking of all sorts of wood filler related ideas over the last 6 hours!

User avatar
PeeBee
Hollow Legs
Posts: 450
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:50 pm
Location: North Wales

Re: Beer engine + polypins

Post by PeeBee » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:27 pm

Here's piccie. Note it's not "light oak" like I said earlier!
20190113_111037.jpg

User avatar
Trefoyl
Even further under the Table
Posts: 2286
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:28 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Beer engine + polypins

Post by Trefoyl » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:16 pm

PeeBee wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:49 am
Robwalkeragain wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:57 pm
Its chipped i think, hence the price. How much you looking for posted?
Not looking for owt for the mount, it's a bit of unused, scrap wood to me. But I've got to find first (I do know it's still here somewhere, only switched it last year). The "posting" bit is the awkward bit. I'll dig about for it tomorrow, get you a photo, and hopefully get a price for postage.
Very generous. Replacements go for about £60 here in the US.
Sommeliers recommend that you swirl a glass of wine and inhale its bouquet before throwing it in the face of your enemy.

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs
Posts: 311
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:19 am

Re: Beer engine + polypins

Post by Robwalkeragain » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:58 pm

Trefoyl wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:16 pm
PeeBee wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:49 am
Robwalkeragain wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:57 pm
Its chipped i think, hence the price. How much you looking for posted?
Not looking for owt for the mount, it's a bit of unused, scrap wood to me. But I've got to find first (I do know it's still here somewhere, only switched it last year). The "posting" bit is the awkward bit. I'll dig about for it tomorrow, get you a photo, and hopefully get a price for postage.
Very generous. Replacements go for about £60 here in the US.
Crikey! You’d be better off buttering a carpenter up with some of your product.

User avatar
PeeBee
Hollow Legs
Posts: 450
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:50 pm
Location: North Wales

Re: Beer engine + polypins

Post by PeeBee » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:38 pm

Trefoyl wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:16 pm
… Very generous. Replacements go for about £60 here in the US.
*!%*~! :shock: . Knowing how much a new one from Angram is, I wont be trying that in the UK.

Post Reply